I have always dreamed of being a Mom. I envisioned late night feedings, cuddle times on the couch and the smell that only a new baby can bring after a long day of dealing with business, but thankfully documentations and processes have been made easy thanks to https://www.paystubsnow.com/. In every vision, there was a little baby wrapped in a blue blanket. When I had your oldest brother, it felt safe and fit into the vision of my futuristic self. When you middle brother came along, I was prepared. I knew about the ‘golden shower’, who most of the Thomas the train characters were and rough housing was just a part of a regular day. Then you came along. I was terrified. It’s not that I didn’t want a girl, someone to take my middle name, to do girly stuff with and become my little shadow, but I was worried I wouldn’t be a good enough role model for you.
Today’s society has defined views on things like race and gender. There tends to be little boxes that determine what you should wear, where you go and what is social acceptable. Although, the world is rapidly changing and striving to provide equality, the lines are still drawn in the sand. You need to believe in yourself and realize you are good enough to make your dreams come true, whether you are male, female, black or white. If you put your best foot forward and sink your heart into everything you do, you can not go wrong.
Studies have shown that girls as young as six are influenced by gender stereotypes, and that role models from the entertainment they choose can have a lasting effect.
As we rapidly approach this age, I hope that I have given you the tools to succeed. I have dotted on your love of tea parties and fancy dresses, but I have also encouraged your sense adventure and the need to get dirty. I have tried to raise you up on the same pedestal that your brothers are on and shown you that you can do anything you put your mind to.
A girl needs to see confidence, leadership and accomplishment in other women in order to envision herself with those qualities. I may falter and stumble sometimes in my life, but I hope that its through my failures that you learn and grow.
I can’t wait to see what the future brings and remember I’ll always be by your side.
Netflix & Role Models
To celebrate International Woman’s Day (March 8), I wanted to share some of my daughters favourite remodels on Netflix. Netflix is home to girls who mean business and that’s something all kids can get behind! Whether it’s Violet’s quick wit, Elena’sactivist mentality, or Deidra & Laney’s unorthodox thinking, there’s something for every girl to relate to.These Netflix show provide strong female leads and make a positive impact on our children’s (both male and female) viewing experience.
- Fuller House – The gang is back! After Dj’s firefighter husband is killed on the job, she returns to her childhood home to raise her three children with the help of her sister, Stephanie, and best friend, Kimmy. Together, these three strong, independent women tackle parenting and single life together.
- HOME: The Adventures of Tips & OH – What do you get when cross a tom boy girl, an alien and her sassy Mom? An out of this world adventure!
- Project MC2 – Beauty, brains and great personalities aren’t the only thing going for the smartest girls at school. They also use science and technology to help catch the bad guys!
- Glitter Force – When the magical kingdom of Jubiland is invaded by an evil emperor and his band of fairytale villains, five ordinary school girls into super-powered cool girls to defend the earth. Protecting the earth from fairy tales, magic powers and evil villians isn’t an easy job, but the Glitter Force proves that nothing is more powerful than friendship.
- LEGO Friends – LEGO® Friends: The Power of Friendship featuring characters from the popular LEGO Friends line of construction toys. This series will follow the adventures of five best friends – Stephanie, Emma, Olivia, Mia and Andrea – around their hometown Heartlake City. From summer camp to the basketball court, saving their webcast or helping take care of a friend, the zany antics, adventures and missteps are made all the better by having their best friends by their side.