Disclosure: I am part of the Orange Naturals Mom Ambassador Program and I receive special perks as part of my affiliation with this group. The opinions on this blog are my own.
Spring has arrived!! Although many people are jumping for joy at the thought of the snow leaving, my family is preparing for our annual battle with season allergies. Allergy season can start as early as February and last all the way until October, but this doesn’t mean that your family has to suffer the entire time. Before the bursts of pollen pollute our air, there are some preventative measure you and your family can take to minimize its effects on your immune system.
Spring allergens also can be hard to avoid. After being cooped up all winter, all we want to do is open the windows and doors to let the fresh air in. This need for a new beginning is also felt by the grasses, trees and weeds. When spring arrives, the warm air find them releasing tiny grains of pollen into the air to fertilize new plants. This deadly combination of open windows and flying pollen are sure to activate allergy suffers immune systems. One of the best ways to stay on to of your allergy symptoms is to do a good Spring house cleaning.
How To Prepare Your Home For Spring Allergies
1. Leave footwear at the door. If it is wet or snowy, we don’t think twice about taking off our shoes as we don’t want to track that mess around our home, so we leave them at the front door. What people don’t realize is that during pollination, tiny bits of pollen and allergens stick to your shoes. When you quickly pop back to the kitchen for your forgotten keys, you are now dragging the pollen into your safe area.
2. Change your bedding once a week. Your bed is a cluster of pollen, mildew, fungus and in my case pet dander. Everything,including sheets, blankets, comforters, duvets, and shams should be washed once a week in warm water to ensure the allergens are killed off.
3. Vacuum and Mop all floors. Forget the broom. A broom may sweep up the large particles, but the tiny allergens are being stirred up into the air. Vacuuming the floors and upholstery with a vacuum with a HEPA filter several times a week, followed by a damp mopping will help remove allergens and pollen.
4. Treat yourself to an aromatic experience. Essential oils such as lavender, peppermint and lemon have anti-histamine and anti-inflammatory properties. By diffusing these oils or mixing them with a carrier oil and applying them to the skin, you can help your body fight off the immune response of allergens.
5. Shower before bed. For the same reason you take off your shoes when you enter the house, you should also show before bed. This removes pollen that has collected hair and face during the course of the day and prevents it from transferred to your pillows or bedding.
6. Eat local honey I’m not sure if it this is an old wise tale or if it has merit, but the theory is if you eat local honey you are introducing local pollen to your immune system, thus helping to build up a response to it. Whether or not it helps, it can’t hurt to eat a spoonful of honey everyday!
7. Change the filters . This simple habit is often forgotten. Changing the filters in your furnace, vacuum and air purifier may seem like a trivia thing, but they can help to decrease the allergens floating around your home. I use the time change as a reminder to change my filters. I’m sure they should be done more often, but twice a year is better than none.
8. Stock up on Orange Naturals This formula provides support and relief from those yearly seasonal
struggles with allergies and symptoms such as itchy eyes and nose, runny eyes and nose, inflammation in your throat and difficulty breathing. It’s homeopathic and a great way to fight off the symptoms of allergies naturally.
How do you prepare your home for seasonal allergies?
Win an Orange Naturals Spring Defense Kit!
This prize pack contains Seasonal Allergies (Homeopathic) for Adults + Seasonal Allergies
(Homeopathic) Kids and Probiotics for Adults + Probiotics Powder for toddlers through teens – a
package valued at approximately $100 (CA)
ENDS April 25, 2018.
Contest Disclaimer: By entering the following contest you are accepting that if you win, your contact information will be shared with Orange Naturals for the purpose of mailing your prize. Please allow 4-6 weeks from the contest closure date to receive your prize.This giveaway may
appear on other blogs as part of the #orangenaturals Parent Ambassador program. However, to be fair, you can only win once per giveaway. If your name is chosen more than once, another winner will be selected. All winners must be from within Canada.