Valentine’s Day was this week. Although I had already found a scrumptious treat to wet my sweet tooth (SEE Cheesecake recipe here), I was looking for something special to make DH. When I think of Valentine’s day, I think of chocolate, cinnamon hearts and flowers. Since DH dislikes cinnamon hearts and flowers really aren’t his thing, I knew I had to create a delicious chocolate dessert to share together. Then another problem popped up, he’s on a diet. No sweets, no garbage, only healthy foods. No problem, if there is one thing that I have learned along this Keto journey is there is always a healthier solution to your favourite foods.
I spent some time searching sugar-free, low carb, healthy recipes on Pinterest and one kept popping up over and over again; Avocado brownies. Interesting enough, I had two avocados sitting in my fridge that need to be used up. It was as if cupid shot his arrow at me!
Now many of the recipes on web, called for ingredients like applesauce, honey or maple syrup. This aren’t allowed on a keto diet so I had to mix a couple of my favourite recipes together with the ingredients I know I can have to create a delicious healthy, low carb brownie recipe.
Keto Friendly Avocado Fudgy Brownie
- 1/3 cup + 1/3 cup of chocolate Mini Chips from Enjoy Life (they are milk, peanut tree nut and soy free!)
- 2 teaspoons + 1 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 2 ripe avocado flesh, remove skin and pit
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup truvia
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon pink salt
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- In a small bowl, melt 1/3 cup Mini chips and 2 teaspoons coconut oil. You can do this on the stove, or I did it in the microwave stirring every 30 seconds until melted.
- In your blender, add all of the ingredients (avocado flesh, eggs, truvia, almond flour, cocoa powder, baking soda vanilla and pink salt.) Mix until all ingredients are well blended and it appears to be a brownie batter consistency.
- Pour mixture into a square pan lined with parchment paper. Spread your fudgy brownie evenly with a spatula.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until knife comes out cleanly.
- Set to cool 10 minutes before removing the parchment paper and brownies to a cooling rack.
- While brownies are cooling, repeat the melted chocolate mix of 1/3 mini chips and 1 Tbsp of coconut oil. Drizzle on top of cooled brownies!
- ENJOY your healthy Fudgy brownie!!
To my surprise, these fudgy brownies turned out amazing!!! They were a rich dark colour and very moist. They didn’t seem to rise as much as I hoped, so next time I think I would make them in a smaller bowl or muffin cups. The best part was the taste! There was no artificial aftertaste, no dry, chalky gluten free texture and no trace of the avocado! Instead, you were left with a mouthwatering delicious fudgy brownie that is almost too good to be true!