Are you ready for Christmas? This year, I wasn’t feeling the Christmas spirit, then I realized that I had begun Christmas baking. Christmas baking is one of those traditions that I remember from my childhood. My Mom used to make a ton of different cookies and hand them out to neighbours or friends to celebrate the holidays. When I moved into my house, I loved cranking up the Christmas tunes and creating some sweet treats in the kitchen.
This year, I was blessed with a ton of sugar cookies from friends and customers, so I didn’t need to make anymore, Instead I searched for a unique Christmas cookie that I had never made before. When I came across the recipe for this chocolate cherry cookie by Genius Kitchen I knew I had had found a winner. Who doesn’t like chocolate cookies topped with a cherry, drizzled in more chocolate?
Chocolate Cherry Cookies
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 container of maraschino cherries (SAVE the cherry juice)
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- In one bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, cream butter and sugar together until well combined. Then add egg and vanilla.
- Slowly add flour mixture to the wet ingredients while continually beating the mixture. Dough will be sticky.
- Form 1 inch balls with your hand and place on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Press your thumb into the center of the cookie and place a maraschino cherry in divot. Set aside.
- In a sauce pan, combine chocolate chips and condensed milk over low heat until melted. Add 4 Tbsp of cherry juice and mix well.
- Drizzle chocolate on top of the cookie to hide the cherry.
- Bake cookies for 10 minutes
- Let cool and enjoy!