One of the things I love best about this time of year is the vast variety of fresh vegetables that are available. From local farmers market to road side stands, you have access to the freshest, most delicious vegetables that your community has to offer. In some cases, they are even warm from the sun having been just picked from the garden. Whenever, I head out to a farmers market, I also go in with huge ideas and plans for the meals I’m going to make. When I leave, I end up walking out with more fruits and vegetables then I could ever consume. From my last trip to the farmers market, the lovely green summer squash otherwise known as zucchini is often the culprit. The long days summer and fun in the sun, made the zucchini become a forgotten treasure in the fridge. When I remembered about the lushes green fruit, time was running out and a quick solution needed to be found.
One night, I found myself in a rare predicament, I was home alone for dinner. Normally, I’m creating a feast for 5 people, but tonight I needed to please only one; ME. One of my favourite dishes is Pizza, but sadly, I have yet to perfect the perfect, Gluten free crust. As a result, I came across a recipe that would combine my love for pizza with the need to use up zucchini! It was the perfect summer dish!
Zucchini Boat Pizza
4 large zucchini, halved lengthwisere1 bottle of pizza sauce
2 cups of shredded mozzarella
1 cup pepperoni, cut in half
garlic and oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut the zucchini in half and dig out the center. Set aside hollowed out zucchini
- In a large pan, add oil and garlic over medium heat. When sizzling, add zucchini centers and sauté until tender (6 mins).
- Remove from heat and add pizza sauce.
- Place zucchini shells on a baking sheet and refill with sautéd zucchini and pizza sauce mixture.
In a large skillet over medium heat, heat olive oil. Add zucchini and sauté until tender, 6 to 8 mins
- Top with mozzarella and mini pepperoni.
- Bake for 15 minutes until zucchini is tender and cheese is melted.
- Serve and enjoy!