Christmas is my favourite time of year. The lights, the music, the decorations, the chance to give back, it fills us with warm, fuzzy memories that last a life time. One of my favourite childhood Christmas memories is baking in the kitchen with my mom for the local senior center. Chair pulled up to the counter, sleeves rolled up, and little hands itching to playing in the dough. We would create a dozen tins of homemade cookies to give to seniors who didn’t have any family at Christmas.
Now that I have a house, kitchen and family of my own, I love recreating memories of my childhood. Each Christmas, I choose a few of my favourite Christmas cookie recipes, grab a kid or two, and turn ordinary ingredients into Christmas magic! This year, I returned to my favourite Christmas cookies and added a gluten free flare!
Gluten Free Christmas Thumbprint Cookies
2/3 cup sugar
1 cup butter at room temp
2 cups GF flour
½ teaspoon xanthan gum
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup of your favourite jam (to add a Christmas flare I use homemade Cranberry sauce)
½ cup white chocolate chips
- Cream the butter, vanilla and sugar together until combined. Do not over mix or you will melt the butter too much.
- Slowly add the flour and xanthan gum in until it is well combined.
- Chill in fridge for an hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Create 1 inch balls and flatten on cookie sheet. Using your thumb or the back of a spoon create an in print.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until bottoms begin to brown.
- Let sit for 3 minutes on cookie sheet then remove and transfer to a wire rack for cooling. Reprint each thumbprint.
- Once cookies are cool, add a scoop of jam or cranberry sauce to the center of each cookie.
- Melt chocolate chips in microwave for 30 seconds.
- Pour melted chocolate chips into a plastic bag and cut off the corner.
- Drizzle Chocolate over top and enjoy!
What is your favourite holiday cookie recipe?
Welcome to this very special Canadian Cookie Collaboration between the Canadian Food Creatives and the Canadian Christmas Cookie Exchange. #CDNFoodCreatives
Visit these Canadian Bloggers to save all of these sweet holiday cookie recipes:
- Austrian Husarenkrapferl Cookies by Evelyne at CulturEatz
- Candy Cane Kissed Chocolate Chip Cookies by Fareen at Food Mamma
- Chocolate Candy Cane Biscotti by Amanda at Peppers & Pennies
- Christmas Piñata Cookies by Karin at The Kitchen Divas
- Coconut shortbread Sandwiches by Taylor at The Girl on Bloor
- Crispy Spicy Almond Roccoco Italian Cookie Recipe by Maria at She Loves Biscotti
- Double Chocolate Mint Cookies by Diana at 365 Days of Easy Recipes
- Eggnog Madeleines by Samantha at My Kitchen Love
- Eisenbahner (Railroad) Cookies by Vicky at Tiny Sweet Tooth
- Gluten Free Thumprint cookies by Jenn at One Heart One Family
- Jewish Shortbread Cookie Pie by Jo-Anna at A Pretty Life in the Suburbs
- Nanny’s Molasses Cookies by Laura at Bluenose Baker
- Peppermint Macarons by Cristina at I Say Nomato
- Sablés Bretons with Chocolate Caramel Beurre Salé by Hilary at Cocoa Bean, the Vegetable
- Stained Glass Gingerbread Cookies by Megan at Food & Whine
- Stuffed Double Chocolate Turtle Cookies by Cassie at Crumb Kitchen
- Thumbprint Caramel Shortbread Cookies by Kacey at The Cookie Writer
- Toasted Flour Sablés by Kimberlie at The Finer Cookie
- Triple Chocolate Pistachio Cookies by Marie at Food Nouveau
- Whole Wheat Dark Chocolate Ginger Crisps by Melanie at The Refreshanista
Sharing is caring! Please post on social media if you like with the hashtag #CDNFoodCreatives!