It’s hard to believe that summer is officially over. As fast as it came, it is done. Gone are the late nights, carefree schedules and days by the pool side. That is replaced with earlier bedtimes, the start up of extracurricular activities, and carpooling. This past month was about returning to schedules and routine. After a month, hopefully you are adapting well to these changes and enjoying the start of the school year!
While Monday to Friday may be jammed pack with activities, making lunches and signing agendas, the weekend should be a time to regroup as a family and enjoy each others weekly accomplishments over a bowl of popcorn and a great family movie on Netflix!
Help your family have a 5 star Netflix night, by bring the shows home! Here are a few fun ways to do so!
Dress the part.
This one of my kids favourite things to do. With a chest filled to the brim with old Halloween Costumes, princess dresses and odds and ends, the kids love to choose a character from the movie and dress up like them! When we watch Tangled, her purple princess dress is perfect!
Play it up.
Netflix has come up with a great way to celebrate those Disney movies that you have seen a dozen times! This time instead of just watching the show, why not treat the family to a movie night bingo It’s easy to use – just print a card for each family member and try to spot the things or actions which commonly happen in movies (i.e. shopping, crying, magic, etc). Mark off your squares and the first one to get “BINGO” (a horizontal, vertical or diagonal line), wins! The winner can be the one who gets to choose the movie for the following week!!
Set the scene.
One way my family likes to set the scene for our Netflix Movie marathons is with food. Dinner and movie. This week, we watched Treasure Planet and created delicious zucchini boats to help us sail there!
Mexican Zucchini Boat Recipe
1lb of ground beef
2 Zucchinis cut in half
1 cup of salsa
1 Cup of shredded cheese
2 tbsp taco seasoning
- Brown ground beef. Once it is no longer pink, add taco seasoning and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Cut zucchinis in half (lengthwise) and scoop out the seed part. Set aside for later.
- Once water boils, place the zucchini it is for 1 minute.
- Remove zucchini and dry.
- Mix the ground beef with 3/4 of set aside zucchini
- Line an oven safe dish with salsa, then place each zucchini open side up. Add salsa to the bottom of each Zucchini boat, then the beef mixture, and finally the cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 35 minutes. Cool then serve.