There is something about beef that screams my name! Maybe its my low iron levels or maybe its the rich, delicious smell of a steak on the BBQ, but this girl craves beef on weekly basis. Normally, my family sticks to the same meals when it comes to beef, fajitas, beef stroganoff or steak, but every once in a while, this mama likes to change things up.
With the summer in full swing and a major heat wave hitting our town, I want to spend as little time as I can over a hot stove, but coming up with new and interesting meal ideas can be challenging. Whenever I’m stuck on a meal idea, I head to Pinterest and type in a few ingredients I have on hand and the words “In 30 minutes”. Most of the recipes that appeared were the ones we usually gravitate to, stir fries and tacos, but when I came across one for Gluten Free Mongolian beef, I knew I had a found a winner. The perfect combination of sweet, salty and beef with a bit of a hidden crunch, what is not to love?
Crispy Mongolian Beef
(recipe based on Recipe Tin Eats)
- 2 pounds beef strips ( I used the one pre cut stir fry ones that save a lot of time!)
- ½ cup cornstarch
- oil in a deep fryer
- Rice to serve on
For the Sauce
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 tbsp ginger powder
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ½ cup rice vinegar
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cornstarch, diluted in 3 tsp water
1. Begin by coating your beef strips, evenly in cornstarch.
2. Place in a pre heated Deep fryer. Cook for 4-5 minutes then drain.
3. In a separate bowl, mix ginger, garlic, soy sauce, water, and vinegar. Bring to a boil.
4. Add brown sugar and cornstarch. Continually mix until it thickens up.
5. Add deep fried beef strips and cook for 2 minutes.
6. Serve on rice.