When you think of hot summer days, you normally think of ICE CREAM! But really, ice cream is the perfect treat any time of year. It pairs great with birthday cake at parties, is a nice addition to holiday pies and is the perfect treat to celebrate any accomplishment! What you normally don’t think about ice cream, is that it may contain gluten. Unfortunately, with my celiac diagnosis, I have learned that more and more foods that aren’t part of the bread and cereal group, contain gluten as a filler or thickener. The same goes ice cream. As a result, I’m normally left with plain boring flavours like vanilla and chocolate. When I read about Hamilton Beach Canada’s Chill Out collection, I couldn’t wait to try the 1.5 Quart Ice Cream Maker. You can make your own ice cream, frozen yogurt, gelato, custard or sherbet in the comfort of your own home. You control the ingredients and it’s ready in as little as 20 minutes! I couldn’t wait to get cooking…err…freezing!
When I’m looking to add an appliance to my kitchen it must past three important rules:
- Easy to use. I’m a busy mom. I don’t have time to fiddle with a ton of steps, buttons or different parts. What I loved about the The Hamilton Beach 1.5 Quart Ice Cream Maker is that is made up of four parts: the base (power supply), the freezer bowl, the paddle and the splash cover. 1-2-3-4 and you are on your way to fresh, homemade ice cream. The best part is there is only 1 button: ON/OFF.
- Durable – I always have a sous chef or two running around the kitchen. With such a small kitchen, it isn’t uncommon for us to bump into each other or knock things off the counter. I need a product that can with stand the occasional bump and drop when my sous chefs help out.
- Set it and forget it – I love making treats and desserts from scratch, but I don’t have the time to solely devote to it. With the The Hamilton Beach 1.5 Quart Ice Cream Maker, you simply add your main ingredients, turn it on and let the machine do the work. It is only the last 5 minutes that you need to pay attention to the consistency and remember to add in your ‘extra’ ingredients like cookies, chocolate chips or candies.
My first attempt at making ice cream was very comical. I got a little too excited and didn’t read the instructions. Once DH took over and READ the instructions, it turned out amazing! Here are few tips to remember:
- Freeze the internal chamber until solid (minimum 12 hours). I keep mine in the freezer, so that it is ready whenever a craving for ice cream occurs.
- Don’t remove freezer bowl from freezer until you are ready to churn the ice cream. The more the bowl thaws before you use it, the longer it takes to make ice cream
- DO NOT pour recipe mixture in until the machine is ON!If you do, it will be extremely loud and not work properly.
Here is one of our favourite Hamilton Beach 1.5 Quart Ice Cream Maker recipes:
Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream
3 oz of cream cheese
1 cup fo sugar
1 1/2 cup fo strawberries
1 cup of whipping cream
1 cup of whole milk
- In a large bowl, whisk cream cheese and sugar until smooth.
- Puree strawberries in a blender and add to cream cheese mixture.
- Slowly incorporate milk and cream.
- Turn Hamilton Beach 1.5 Quart Ice Cream Maker on and slowly pour in strawberry cream cheese mixture.
- Churn for approximately 20 minutes.
- Serve and top with crusted graham crackers and a strawberry.