Summer is about BBQs, outdoor adventures and getting together with friends and family. That means a lot of food, fun and preparation. With the hot, beautiful weather calling you outside, the last thing you want to do is spend the day in the kitchen. When my family gets together, we love sharing tasty, nutritious salads when we are firing up the grill. Unfortunately, there are only so many lettuce salads you can share. When I want a hardy, cold salad, I always reach for my favourite bean salad! Its easy to make, contains ingredients you normally find in your cabinet and it makes a ton of food!
1 can of chickpeas
1 can of kidney beans
1 can of 6 bean mix
1 can of black beans
1/2 cup of chopped onions
1/2 cup of celery (optional)
- Open up the beans, strain and wash thoroughly.
- Mix pulses in a large bowl
- Add chopped up onion and celery
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, and sugar. When the sugar is dissolved (no longer visible), pour over the beans.
- Let sit for at least an hour to allow flavors soak in, then serve with your favourite BBQ meat or eat on its own!
As we finish up this amazing weekend, celebrating our Countries 149th birthday, I want to remind you that there is only hours left to share your must-have
#CanadaDay dish with Pulse Canada win an iPad and other great prizes! Remember to share photos of your Canada Day dishes on Instagram or Twitter with #pulsepledge and #canadaday for additional entries!