Facebook is like my own personal black hole. I can spend hours upon hours checking friends status, browsing their pictures and messaging my sister. On Monday, it was Family day in Ontario. My family stayed home for the day, while I ventured out to work. When I got home, I was feeling sorry for myself and decided to snoop through Facebook at all the wonderful Family day things my friends were doing with their family. Of course, it only made me feel worse. Then I came across a picture by Chef in Training called Strawberry Jello Poke Cake. My mouth was watering and I knew it would be the perfect dessert to celebrate Family Day with my family.
When I began searching through my fridge and cupboards, I realized that I didn’t have all the ingredients it called for. With a little luck and some creative thinking I came up with a delicious, gluten free alternative! I was worried that by substituting the white cake for angel food cake would cause it to flop, but with fingers crossed I attempted it anyways!
Peach Jello Poke Cake
- 1 box gluten free angel food cake mix
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 packet Peach Jello
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 Cup of Whipping cream
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- Canned peaches
- Preheat Oven to 350 F
- Bake cake according to box (12 egg whites, 1/4 oil).
- Bake cake for 20 minutes or until full cooked. Set aside
- In a pot, boil 1 cup of water. Add jello powder and stir until completely dissolved.
- Add 1 Cup of cold water to jello mixture.
- Take cake and stab it with a long knife as many times as you can (the more holes, the more the jello will seep in).
- Pour Jello mixture over cake and place in fridge for 3 hours.
- Before removing cake from oven, whip whipping cream until it forms stiff peeks. Add 1 tbsp of icing sugar and 1 tbsp of vanilla. Whip again until fluffy.
- Top cake with whipped icing and add slices of canned peaches for decoration!
Enjoy as a family!