Celiac Disease and breakfast is a tricky combination to manage. In my pre-celiac days, I would enjoy a big hardy bowl of cereal or steaming hot porridge. If I was in a rush toast was my go-to breakfast snack. Unfortunately, most of these breakfast choices revolve around grains and of course gluten. Trust me, I have tried my different substitutes such as gluten free bread, cereals and breakfast bars, but all of them sink like a rock in my belly. This leaves me feeling sluggish and bloated (not a great way to start the day!). I have tried eating solely protein, such as eggs, but I find myself feeling hungry in half an hour. For months, I have been searching for alternative that is light and airy, but provides me with the satisfied feeling I require to make it lunch. Funny enough, it was a snack that my sister tried on my year old nephew that became my new favourite breakfast food.
This recipe was inspired by And They Cooked Happily Ever After’s recipe called Apple Quinoa Bites. I added a few favourite ingredients, insured it was Gluten free and created a delicious, relatively healthy breakfast snack that is perfect for grabbing on the go, when mornings become hectic.
Apple Quinoa Bites
- 1 cup cooked quinoas (half cup uncooked and half cup water)
- 1 cup gluten free oats
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 cup chopped apples (I used Granny Smith, because I like the tart flavour)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) Cook Quinoa according to directions on package. Normally, it requires adding half a cup of quinoa to a half a cup of water and bring to a boil. Once you have a rolling boil, reduce heat to low and cover for 20 minutes.
3) Once Quinoa is cooked, fluffy with a fork and add to a large mixing bowl, along with gluten free oats. Stir well.
4) In a smaller bowl, mix cinnamon, nutmeg, and sugars. Add to large mixing bowl. Then add the maple syrup, apples and eggs and mix until combined.
3) Line muffin tins with paper cups and fill them with with the qunioa mixture.
4) Bake for about 15-20 minutes.
5) Grab and Go! Store in fridge!