The holidays should be a fabulous time of year. They are an excuse to get together with friends and family that you haven’t seen in a while, enjoy delicious food and celebrate friendship and love. Being an extrovert social person, I used to count down the hours until it began. I loved dressing up, preparing foods and spending time engaging with my friends. Unfortunately, my love for social events has turned from one of happiness to one of uneasiness thanks to my food allergies.
Having a food allergy can be very isolating. Instead of indulging in the festivities, I sit and worry about whether or not I am going to come in contact with gluten. Instead of enjoying a new dish, I’m drilling the chef for the total ingredient list to see if it is edible. Instead of being that the perfect, laid back guest, I am the one that everyone tips toes around because they have either forgotten about my food allergy, didn’t understand it, or thought I’d be satisfied munching on vegetables. I don’t blame them. It has taken me many years to learn how to read labels and created delicious gluten free recipes. There are many food allergies out there and if you aren’t the one who suffers from the hives or bloated stomach, it can be hard to understand.
5 food to Welcome Guests with Gluten Allergies this Holiday Season
Many readers have commented that they are hosting gluten free guests this holiday season. Although it may be overwhelming to be a host who has never dealt with this food allergy before, I have 5 must have products to have on hand to make family and friends with gluten free allergies feel included in the holiday festivities.
- Glutino Frosted Pop Tarts – As a gluten free person, breakfast time is the hardest time to find a quick gluten free substitute. Glutino Frosted Pop Tarts are an easy pack in your suitcase or store in your cupboard for surprise guests. Available in four flavours frosted blueberry, frosted strawberry, apple cinnamon and strawberry, these flavourful pastries will take you back to your childhood. Their cookie crust and soft fruity inside can be toasted or eaten straight out of the package!
- Glutino Pretzels – Dips are one of the most common appetizers served during the holidays. Whether made for chips or veggies, dips always the perfect light snack or preshow to any meal. To appease your gluten free guests, have a bag of Glutino pretzels sticks on hand. These crispy twists are the perfect for dipping in dips (such as Creamy Ranch Dip) and satisfy all salty cravings.
- Gooey Chocolate Merry Mint (White Chocolate Mint Brownies Mix) Before I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease, holiday baking was my favourite time of year, but since then my love for baking kind of fizzled out. Recreating my old recipes with gluten free flour seemed to crumble or not taste any good at all. If you are looking for a delicious holiday treat that is gluten free, try whipping up these brownies! Easy to make and delicious to eat, they are the perfect dessert for your gluten allergy guest!
- Glutino Sugar Cookies – Christmas isn’t Christmas to me without homemade cookies. Participating in a cookie exchange, gifting cookies in a decorative cookie tin or sharing them with Santa are just a few areas that cookies help to make my holiday season jolly. The Glutino Sugar Cookie kit is easy to use and creates delicious gluten free cookies quickly and easily.
- Glutino Sea Salt Crackers – Cheese and crackers are one of life’s simple pleasures. No matter when you serve them, you really can’t go wrong (afternoon snack, appetizer, party dish, road trip) and nobody knows this better then a gluten free person. The problem is many of the crackers on the market taste like salted cardboard. If you want to impress your gluten free friend, serve Glutino Sea Salt Crackers! They are perfect for layering with cheese or dipping in hummus. Their crispiness, crunchiness and flavour is sure to be a guest pleaser for all guests.
Hosting a gluten free guest doesn’t have to be stressful or impossible. It does take a bit of planing and preparation to create meals that will satisfy everyone. I hope these food ideas help make your party a Happy gluten free occasions!