Stomach cramps, diarrhea, vomiting and gas are symptoms that I am very familiar with. All of my life I fought these symptoms with little or no relief. I’ve seen doctor after doctor and it wasn’t until 4 years ago when I was diagnosed with celiac disease, that I began to understand how our digestive system and bowels actually work. I am not alone in this struggle, 75 million North Americans are suffering from upset stomachs such as gas, bloating, colic, constipation, diarrhea, acid reflux, heartburn, IBS, etc., and 80 million people getting food-born illnesses every year. What is the cause? How can we stop it?
The first step is understanding how your gut functions. Everyone knows that food goes in your mouth, is digested in your stomach by stomach acid then travels through the intestines and the waste not used exits our body. What many people don’t know is what actually happens on the 25 foot track from stomach to anus.Their functions are to digest food and liquid that we consume and distribute the nutrients released from that food to enter into the bloodstream. While this positive exchange is going on, there is an internal battle that many people aren’t aware: Bacteria!
Your body naturally contains 100 trillion bacteria — more than 10 times the number of cells you have in your entire body. These bacteria are part of a complex ecosystem in the gut called intestinal flora or gut flora. The gut flora performs a number of useful functions in the body and is important for good health. Studies show that a balance of approximately 85% good bacteria vs 15% bad bacteria is essential to maintain a healthy system. By exposing these good bacteria to antibiotics, refine sugars/grains, antibacterial products, chemicals etc., we are changing this ratios thus affecting the way the flora in our gut functions. The result can be eczema, depression, allergies, stomach problems, etc.
BioGaia: The Pros of Probiotics for Children
Last weekend, I was invited to an amazing educational event hosted by alternative health expert Bryce Wylde and nutritionist Julie Daniluk, focusing on the benefits of daily probiotic supplements for children. They explained the about importance of a healthy gut and strong immune system for their infants and kids.
Here is a few key tips I learned:
- Antibiotics can be life saving but they also kill off probiotics. If you have to take antibiotics you need ensure you replenish your probiotics
- If you have a c-section, your baby bypasses their first important introduction to beneficial flora.
- Probiotic deficiency is a root cause of poor gut health
- Kids raised with pets have healthier immune systems
- A positive intake of probiotics can aid in stress relief by reducing your cortisol levels
- Foods, such as apples are great prebiotics (i.e. they feed the good bacteria) & help to regulate things like estrogen
- By regulating and encouraging the good bacteria to grow in children, you can reduce colic, regurgitation and constipation
- It takes 12-24 months before good bacteria comes back to its normal level after taking antibiotics
- Probiotics help to control our moods, nervous system, and endocrine system.
- You can catch the entire presentation online HERE
In today’s busy world, its not always easy to avoid things like chemicals, antibiotics and high allergy choices. That being said, the impacts on our health and the health of our intestines can be dramatically affect. Supplementing out bodies with good bacteria is easy when you use a natural product like BioGaia. BioGaia® Probiotic Sugar-Free Chewable Tablets have been shown by clinical study to reduce.
Are 100% natural
Do not contain alcohol
Do not contain preservatives
Do not contain sugar
BioGaia is available in Canada in two formats: Probiotic Drops and Probiotic Sugar-Free Chewable Tablets.
BioGaia contains L. reuteri which is considered a truly superior probiotic: it helps promote a healthy, balanced digestive system when taken daily. Each dose contains 100 Million CFU+ and have been successful since 1996 in improving health bacteria levels, thus overall health, in newborns, small children, adults and immune-deficient adults
Give BioGaia a Try yourself! WIN a package of BioGaia Probiotic Sugar-Free Chewable Tablets (valued at $30 CAD)
ENDS: October 31, 2015