Living a gluten free lifestyle can be very challenging at times. Recipes that you once loved to whip up on holidays, now become somewhat of a challenge. Either the taste is slightly off or the ingredients don’t blend well together creating a crumbling mess. One of the tricks that I have learned over the past few years is that you favourite dishes can be recreated with a little ingenuity and creativity.
One of my favorite substitutions in gluten free baking is using gluten free pretzels instead of using cookies or crackers. The crispy texture and the salty flavour enhance the dish and are extremely easy to use. Whether you are making creamy cheesecakes or a looking for a creamy ranch dip to accompany your favourite chips during football season, Glutino is my go to brand for delicious pretzels.
As Valentine’s Day rolls around, I am on the hunt for a sweet treat that can be shared with my loved ones. When I came across this recipe for Toffee bark, I knew I had found a winner. The sweet candy coated base, covered in rich chocolate is a perfect way to celebrate Valentine’s Day. The only problem is the original recipe calls for saltine crackers. GLUTEN! Here is how I took and old favourite recipe and gave it an updated -Gluten free – make-over for Valentine’s Day.
Gluten Free Valentine’s Toffee Bark
1 cup of unsalted butter
1 cup of brown sugar
1 1/2 cup of white chocolate molding wafers (or you can use chocolate chips)
2 cups of Glutino Pretzel Chips
3 TBSP melted pink chocolate
1. In a saucepan, melt butter. Once melted, add brown sugar and stir occasionally.
2. While sugar mixture is boiling, lay pretzels in a single layer on a cookie sheet covered in tinfoil.
3. Once sugar mixture reaches a rolling boil (continual boil), remove from heat and drizzle on pretzels.
4. While mixture is hot, pour white chocolate wafers on top of candied mixture. (if chocolate doesn’t melt, place in oven at 275 F for 5 minutes watching constantly).
5. Place in fridge to harden (15 minutes).
6. Melt pink chocolate in microwave and places in plastic bag. Cut the tip off the bag and drizzle on top of the chocolate/candy mixture. Add sprinkles.
7. Return to fridge for another 15 minutes.
8. Cut into small pieces and share the love!