I have never been a morning person. I am one of those people who prepares for her day the night before so that I can sleep in until the latest time possible before having to rush off to work. I dread the sound of the alarm going off, so much so, that I have actually incorporated the song or buzzer into my dream rather allowing it to wake me up. Instead, I have the alarm on the other side of DH, who proceeds to push me out of bed.
By the time I finally drag myself out of bed, I’m behind schedule and rushing around to make it to work on time. Some days I will grab a yogurt as I run out the door, but many days, I skip breakfast all together. By the time 10 o’clock rolls around, I’m starving!
Last weekend, I was trolling the internet for a breakfast bar that I could make up on Sunday to provide a quick and easy start to my weekday mornings. Most recipes contained too much sugar or wouldn’t work with gluten free substitutes, Yummy Mommy, on the other hand, provided the perfect recipe base for a breakfast bar. With a few additions and subtraction I came up with a bar that I’m happy to wake up to in the mornings!
Gluten Free Cranberry Oatmeal Breakfast Bars
- 4 cups gluten free rolled oats (do not use minute oatmeal!)
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup maple syrup
- ½ cup salted butter
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Using a food processor, grind the oats until they are in a powder-like consistency
- In a saucepan on low temperature, melt the 1/2 cup of butter.
- When melted, add 1 cup of maple syrup and 1 tsp of vanilla to melted butter. Bring mixture to a boil.
- In a separate bowl, mix oat powder, 1 cup of cranberries and cinnamon.
- Fold in the melted butter into oat mixture until well combined.
- Place in a greased pan and place in the refrigerator for 1+hour.
- Cut into squares and grab as you run out the door to work in the morning