It has been three years since I began my gluten free diet! Although, I had to make many dietary changes and I’m constantly adapting old favourite recipes into new Gluten free ones, the one thing that has remained consistent in my diet is RICE! Asian, Italian, Mexican, Middle Eastern—you name the cuisine and there’s a rice dish to complement that meal. I love that rice can be served plain when you have a tummy ache or jazzed up with spices for a fun and exotic dish! The recipe opportunities with rice are endless!
“Global products such as basmati and jasmine rice are growing in popularity, but generally take time to prepare. Minute Rice takes the time and skill out of preparing exotic rice recipes and side dishes, giving people more time to focus on other things.” – Doyle Brown, Minute Rice® Senior Brand Manager.
Recently, I was introduced to a new line up from Minute Rice called: Minute Rice® Aromatic Rice. Created with exotic taste in mind, this new, authentic premium rice is sure to tempt your taste buds and expand your culinary talents. Packaged in single servings, I can whip up one package or two and serve my family a meal inspired by international flair in less then 10 minutes! It is available in two delicious flavours Minute Rice® Basmati Rice and Minute Rice® Jasmine Rice. The Minute Rice® Basmati Rice is a delicious long grain rice with a rich nutty flavour. The perfect addition to commonly prepared in Indian, Middle Eastern and Persian meals, this ‘prince of rice’ is sure to please. Minute Rice® Jasmine Rice has a softer, stickier texture when cooked and the flavour is enhanced with a floral aroma. Jasmine rice is originally from Thailand and is commonly used in Southeast Asian cooking. This is a long grain variety of rice that has a subtle floral aroma and a soft, sticky texture when cooked. The grains are also shorter and thicker than basmati rice. Whether you are in the mood for a Indian or Asian meal, this new Minute Rice allows even inexperienced chefs, like myself, to create mouthwatering aromatic rice within minutes!
I used these rice packages in lieu of my normal Minute rice for family dinners. I loved how quick and easy it was to great delicious meals and my children loved the subtle flavours when compared to their normal rice. To put it to the ultimate test, I tried to recreate a Minute Rice Aromatic recipe:Curry Zucchini soup.
- pouch (125 g) Minute Rice Basmati Rice
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) fresh ginger, chopped
- 3 cups (750 mL) chopped zucchini
- 4 tsp (20 ml) mild Indian curry paste ( I didn’t have any so I added 4tsp of curry powder to a tbsp of oil)
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
- 5 cups (1.25 L) low sodium chicken broth
- Remove rice from pre-portioned pouch; set aside. Melt butter in a large saucepan set over medium heat. Add onion, apple, garlic and ginger. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Add zucchini, curry paste, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 8 minutes or until zucchini starts to soften. Add broth; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat. Add rice. Cover and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes or until zucchini and rice are tender. With immersion or stand blender, purée until smooth.
It was a huge success! If you are interested in trying this recipe or recreating one of your favourite Asian or Indian recipes, why not give Minute Rice® Aromatic Rice a try! Get a coupon here! (Coupons are available while quantities last, so please act quickly!)
Minute Rice® Aromatic Rice retails for $3.99 as is available at major retailers nationally.