Have you ever had one of those days when nothing seems to go right? The kids wake up early when all you want to do is sleep in, they fight non stop, your daughter is whinny and cries at the drop of a dime, you are out of coffee and you stub your toe on toys that are laying all around? There are two ways you can react. One you can let all of these little things chip away at you until you are left feeling annoyed and angry, or you can take a moment, breath, and refocus your attention on things that truly matter.Easier said then done!
Here are a few tips to help you refocus your attention and turn a potentially stressful day into a happy one:
1. Three deep breaths – Sometimes all it takes is three deep breaths. Close your eyes and focus on your body. Let the external stimulus melt away and focus on the air moving through your mouth, into your lungs and out your mouth. Feel the blood pulsing through your body taking freshly oxygenated blood to your tissues and organs. When you are done, the stress that was once bothering you will not seem so trivial or important. Sounds too good to be true, but honestly it works.
2. Call a friend – Sometimes all you need to do is get the negative feelings out of your body. By calling a good friend, you are able to rid those negative feelings.
3. Stretches – Sometimes performing a few stretches can improve productivity and minimize those external stimuli that are bothering you. When you are stressed blood flow is restricted to your muscles. This causes the feeling of tension in your muscles. Take a moment to stand up and stretch your fingers, arms, wrists, ankles, legs, toes, waist, neck and spine. Stretching stimulates receptors in the nervous system that decrease the production of stress hormones causing you to think more clearly.
4. Read a book/bible verse – Sometimes all it takes is simply removing your thoughts for the stressful tasks at hand to another situation. That can be done by reading a fictional book that takes you to a whole new world or rehanging your mind and spirit by turning to the words of the LORD.
5. Enjoy Iogo Moments – Iogo recognizes that sometimes you need to escape the stresses of everyday life and indulge in a natural delicious moment. Iogo has recently released their new Iogo Moment line. These 8% Milk fat yogurts are made with whole milk, fresh cream and luscious fruit. Gelatine free, with no artificial colours, flavours or preservatives, these delicious yogurts melt in your mouth. It is now available in six delicious flavours field strawberry, Raspberry, Orange-Cranberry, Vanilla Bean, Lemon, and my favourite Apple-Carmel. I love how the velvety Yogurt is on top and the fruit lies in the bottom like a buried treasure. The taste is rich and intense and is a little bit of heaven in a jar. My favourite part is the label. As you slowly consume the delicious infusion of flavours, a refreshing message that will refresh your heart and mind.
When you are stuck in one of those unbearable moments, try one of the above techniques and remember my favourite saying: “This too shall pass!”