Its finally June! The air is warmer, the pollen has died down and my family is finally breaking free from our cabin fever of the never ending winter. With school ending and the days staying brighter, longer, I’m on the hunt for some fun and entertaining ways to keep my kids busy outside this summer. When shopping with two out of my three children on the weekend, I was conned into buying a cheap automatic bubble maker. As I watched my children gleefully play with this bubble maker for over an hour, I realized that bubbles were a great way to keep children entertained! EVERYONE LOVES BUBBLES! Whether you are young or old, boy or girl, there is something about that beloved, transparent sphere that brings a smile to everyone’s face!
There is much more to bubbles then just blowing them!! Here are our top 5 favourite ways to have fun with Bubbles!
1. Make your own bubbles and blowers – Have you ever tried making your own bubbles at home? It so much easier and cheaper then buying the store bought stuff!! Simply mix 6 parts water, 2 parts dish washing liquid (Joy works great!) and 3/4 part corn syrup. Store in an air tight container and you have bubbles any time you need them. Now have your kids hunt around the house for fun bubble blowing wands! You can be creative and use things like cookie cutters, paper cups, tin cans, spatulas, or even simple pipe cleaners bent in fun shapes!
2. Pop the bubbles – This is my kids’ favourite game. I bought a cheap electronic bubble blower from our grocery store and loaded it with our homemade bubbles. It turned on some music, started the machine and watched as my children ran here and there chasing and popping the bubbles.
3. Bubble races – Everyone has heard of the egg and spoon race, but have you heard of a bubble race? Set the children up at the starting line (skipping ropes work great!) and give them each a bubble blower and some bubble solution. Have them blow a bubble and catch it on the blower. Next have them run to the finish line (i.e. another skipping rope). The idea is make it to the finish line without your bubble blowing away or popping.
4. Bubble Art – If you don’t mind a mess, this is a fun activity to do outdoors with your children. Tape pieces of paper onto a wall or fence. Mix a cup of homemade bubble solution to 1 tsp of tempera paint. Blow bubbles so they will pop on the paper.
5. #BubblesMyWay with SodaStream – After all the racing, painting and popping, its important to remember to stay hydrated in hot, sunny days! Keeping with our bubble theme, the SodaStream is a great way to have a #bubblesMyWay drink to cool off.
SodaStream is revolutionizing the beverage industry by empowering people with simple, creative, and fun ways to make and enjoy better-for-you sparkling drinks without all the bottles. It is a cost effective, eco-friendly, healthier and smarter option to other sparkling drinks on the market. The best part is that it can be used on your outdoor adventures! With no plug required, you can bring you SodaStream on picnics, to BBQ or your own front porch! My kids love how simple and easy it is to use! They can create tasty sparkling drinks themselves!
For our Bubbles celebration, my children decided to combine a few of their favourite things to create a sparkling beverage worthy of the #BubblesMyWay name!
- 2 bottles of water
- 1 capful of Kool Aid SodaStream mixture
- 1 Capful of Lime SodaStream mixture
- 1 handful of frozen berries.
- Place the bottles of water under the SodaStream and create desired fizziness.
- Add one capful of each SodaStream mixture to each bottle.
- In a large pitcher mix the two bottles together.
- Add in frozen berries.