Like every other new mother, one of the first things I did after my children was born was count their little fingers and toes. I always marveled at their perfection at such a young age. As their feet began to grow, I loved playing the “stinky feet” game with my baby, watching as they giggled over and over again. I marveled at their strength as they held my child up for the first time and their steadiness as my baby moved through their first steps. My ‘babies’ feet are not so little anymore. Now they run, skip and play on a daily basis. They climb trees, peddle bikes, and are shoved into cleats, skates and boots. They take a beating everyday.
Many people know that its very important to take care of you feet. They are the foundation of your body providing support, stability and shock control for the rest of your joints. What many people don’t know is that a child’s foot endures more stress then an adults foot. In the first three years of live, a baby’s foot undergoes many different changes.
1. Structure changes – As a newborn, their feet are comprised of more cartilage then bone and it isn’t until 18 months that adult like bones are reached.
2. Rapid Growth – From newborn to toddlerhood, a child’s foot is undergoing rapid growth. They can change sizes as often as every 3 months.
3. High impact – When a toddler starts moving around, its like endless amount of electricity is shot through their bodies. This high activity levels causes them to endure about 3 times more stress than the average adult foot.
When shopping for a shoe for my child, I always take in the these factors. As easy as it would be to buy any old shoe for my child, it is important to remember the importance of building a strong foundation from the beginning. When searching for a child’s shoe, I look for something that is good quality (to out last the kid!), good absorption (for the increased high impact activities children are prone to), and well developed foot bed (to ensure proper growth).
TOMS is a humanitarian shoe company that offers a variety of footwear styles for men, women and kids. From everyday men’s shoes like Paseos to fun and flirty Strappy Wedges, they are passionate about both the fashion and helping others. The company began in 2006 when an American traveler named Blake Mycoskie was visiting an Argentinian village. He became friends with a few children in the village and realized they wore no shoes to protect their feet. Wanting to help, Blake was inspired to create the company, TOMS, whereby he matches every pair of shoes purchased with a pair of new shoes given to a child in need. One for One.
It was love at first read. I had heard many good things about TOMS shoes, they are comfortable, stylish, etc., but when I heard the driving force behind the company, I was astonished. Its rare to find a company that looks past just the dollars coming in, but instead is trying to find a way to help so many others in need.
Fresh kicks for kids from TOMS for spring and summer
TOMS has just released an amazing Spring and Summer collection! Here is a preview of some of the beautiful styles available this year.
There are three main reasons my family love TOMS:
1. Easy to use! – My kids were super excited to test out a pair of TOMS shoes, especially my DD2. True to her girly ways, when she found out a pair was for her, she couldn’t wait to put them on. DD2 is a very independent little girl, however, putting on shoes is a challenge she has some difficulty with. Not with TOMS! She was able to put her new ruby red slippers on all by herself! Made from durable canvas, the shoes were breathable, lightweight and easy for all of my children to slip on.
DS8 “I loved how easy TOMS were to slip on! I didn’t have to worry about laces or velcro. Just pop them on and go!”
2. Stylish – TOMS are created in an alpargata- inspired fashion. Simple with clean lines are perfect for running around outside or a more dressy occasions. We found our TOMS to be so stylish that DS8 actually wore his TOMS with his suit for his 1st Communion.
3. Comfortable – One of my favourite aspects of TOMS is the comfort. The kids were able to slip on the shoes and play all day without any problems. After wearing them for two weeks straight, my kids have not complained of sore feet, gotten blisters or ended up with any marks at all.
DS6 “I love that I could wear my TOMS all day, WITHOUT SOCKS and I didn’t get any booboos!”
If you are looking for a great pair of shoes for dress up or dress down, I highly recommend TOMS, the company lives by the rule: One for One. To find out more about TOMS or to locate their amazing shoes follow them on Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram.