One of my favourite parts about my day job, rural mail carrier, is driving through the country side. I have witnessed a calf being born, dirt fields transformed into lush product and the hard work of the farmers as they tend to these fields day in and day out. After witnessing this beauty and hard work over the past two years, I have begun to realized the importance of shopping at farmer markets and buying local.
From the farmers’ market or your grocery cart to the dinner table, Ontarians can enjoy the province’s bounty of Ontario dairy, eggs, flowers, meats, fruits and vegetables all year long. Here are three great reasons to buy local Ontario food:
* Great food and choices. The abundance of local food choices is incredible with something for every taste, budget and occasion.
* Choosing local provides a personal connection with what you eat. There is a story behind every basket of produce, cut of meat, loaf of bread and glass of milk.
* Caring for the environment — Ontario farmers are committed to growing crops and raising livestock in an environmentally sustainable manner which leaves our farms in better shape for generations to come.
As of 2014, Local Food week will held the first week of June. The idea is to cultivate awareness and build appreciation for farming and food in Ontario.
Wondering how you can celebrate local food?
Here are six tips:
* Host your own local food celebration feast or barbecue with friends and family, each menu item has a story to be shared;
* Share your love of local food on social media using the #loveONTfood hashtag;
* Support your local farmers by choosing Ontario products all year long.
* Tour a farm virtually or find out more about how your food is produced here at home by visiting www.farmfoodcare.org * Visit www.loveONTfood.ca for a full list of great resources on Ontario food and farming and more ideas on how to join in on the Local Food celebrations.
* Join Farm & Food Care Ontario to celebrate Local Food Week in Ontario on June 3, 2014 at 8pm ET for a #loveONTfood Twitter Party
#loveONTfood Twitter Party
Ask questions, celebrate farm families and share stories of farmers who work hard to bring fresh Ontario food to your dinner table. Make sure you follow us on twitter @FarmFoodCare for daily updates. See you there!!
Date: Tuesday June 3, 2014
Time: 8:00pm EST
Host: @FoodFarmCare and @loveONTfood
- One (1) #BlendandExtend Prize Package valued at $75:Mushrooms Canada Apron, an Ontario Beef Apron, a T-Fal Frying Pan, a Cutting Board, and our Blend & Extend Recipe Book & Spice Pack.
- Two (2): Pepper Mills, value $25/ea.
- One (1): Ag More Than Ever apron, value $10.
- Ten (10): OFVGA notebook & pen, value $8/ea
- Ten (10): Apple Slicers, value $5/ea.
- Two (2): Sets of mittens, value $15/ea.
- One (1): Apron, value $15/ea.
- Two (10): Mmm bacon tshirts, value$8/ea
- Three (3): Pairs of socks & pen, value $12/ea.
- Two (2): Sets of oven mitts, value $12/ea