Spring is in the air! Spring is a time of renewal, rebirth and re-energizing ones mind, body and spirit. It is a time to throw open the windows, bask in the sunlight and show off some skin. Unfortunately, this winter was tough. The ice storm, polar vortex and never ending cold spells have left us all with a few extra pounds to shed. Spring time is the perfect excuse to get outside, start exercising and refocus on healthy eating. In my kitchen, that means more fruits, veggies and my favourite, cottage cheese.
Cottage cheese is a white chunky substance with a mild flavour. It was first created in 1831 as a way to use up the left over milk from the butter process. They found that when they drained the milk that was left over, individual curds remained loose. The curds are then washed to remove the acidity and give it a sweeter tastes. Since then cottage cheese has become a favourite meal eaten by itself or paired with fruit, salt and pepper, tomatoes, toast, granola, or cinnamon. It is a great replacement for mayonnaise in recipes such as tuna or chicken salad and adds a protein punch to salads and various desserts. Cottage cheese contains a high content of casein protein (a long lasting protein) and a low fat content making it a favourite food for both dieters and weightlifters. My favourite brand of cottage cheese is Gay Lea. Loaded with vitamins and calcium, it is high in protein and taste but low in fat! Gluten free, nut free, certified kosher and Canadian made, it is a brand I am proud to feed my family.
This past Mother’s Day, we honored my Mom with her favourite Cottage cheese inspired meal: Lasagna. Creating a healthy spaghetti sauce from fresh vegetables such as green peppers, mushrooms, carrots and tomatoes and paring it with low fat cheese and the creamy Nordica Gay Lea No Fat Cottage Cheese , we celebrated all things Mother with a delicious, healthy meal. Good bye winter and hello to healthy eating and spring fun!
Cottage Cheese Lasagna
- 1 box of Gluten free Lasagna noodles
- 1lb lean beef
- 1/2 onion
- 1 green pepper
- 2 carrots
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp oregano
- 3 cups of shredded low fat Mozzarella cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 carton of Gay Lea No fat Cottage Cheese
- In a large pan, brown the beef and the chopped onions.
- Add 1 can of pasta sauce and 1 can of diced tomatoes to the browned beef and onion.
- Chop peppers ,mushrooms, garlic, and carrots in to tiny pieces and add to sauce.
- Season sauce with salt. pepper, basil and oregano to taste.
- Let the sauce simmer for half an hour.
- While sauce is simmering, cook the noodle according to the box.
- In a 9×12 tray, add two scoops of sauce to cover the bottom of the tray. This prevents the lasagna from sticking to the tray.
- Add three noodles on top of the sauce.
- Another layer of sauce.
- Add another layer of noodles.
- Add layer cottage cheese, layer of noodles, layer of sauce. Repeat twice.
- Top with shredded cheese.
- Bake at 350 F for 45 minutes.
This month we’ll be giving away 12 free Gay Lea products to one lucky winner. The prize pack will contain 12 free product coupons, but the coupons will expire in 6 months (October 2014). You may apply across many blogs, but can only win on one blog.
Win 12 Gay Lea Product Coupons!
Ends: May 25, 2014
Open to Canada (excl. Quebec)