This past weekend, my family and I celebrated Earth Hour. Earth hour is a world wide movement created by the World Wide Federation. Held on the last Saturday of March, the goal of the movement is to have people all over the world turn off non essential lights and electronics as a sign of their commitment to help save the planet. It originally began in Australia in 2007, but has since exploded into a world wide event covering over 7000 cities and towns world wide. Earth hour is the perfect opportunity to start teaching your family how they can reduce, reuse and recycle on a daily basis to protect this wonderful planet.
10 Ways You Can Teach Your Children How to Protect the Environment
1. Take a hike through the woods and discuss the importance and fragility of the earth. Point out signs of life and growth, as well as damage caused by pollution.
2. Plant a garden. This is one thing I am looking forward to doing with my children this summer. Teaching them the importance of nurturing, the caring for, and the process from start to finish, to show them how fragile the earth actually is.
3. Instead of driving to the store, walk or ride your bike. Not only are you getting exercise and keeping yourself healthy, but you are reducing unnecessary pollution.
4. Get your children to help on trash day. Let them sort the recycling and ask them to describe which can be recycled, reused and why.
5. Show your children the importance of reusing. Turn an old t-shirt into a dust rag or a sock into a playful puppet. Teach them that the more we reuse, the less that will end up in landfill.
6. Turn off electronics and lights when you leave the room.
7. Take a walk as a family and pick up trash around the neighbourhood.
8. Bring reusable bags to the grocery store instead of using plastic ones. If you do end up with a plastic one, recycle it at stores were applicable.
9. Use less water. When brushing your teeth, turn off the tap if you are not using water.
10. Use reusable containers rather then plastic ones.
#BubblesMyWay with Soda Stream
SodaStream is revolutionizing the beverage industry by empowering people with simple, creative, and fun ways to make and enjoy better-for-you sparkling drinks without all the bottles. Every year, over one billion bottles are produced for consumer consumption. The sad statistic is over 800 million of them end up in landfills rather than recycling plants. One bottle of SodaStream can replace more than 2000 bottles and cans making it a SMART choice for our planet.
This machine is amazing. It allows you to customize your beverage with flavour, fizziness, sweetness and amount. Within a few seconds, your normal tap water can go from bland, ordinary water into a sparkling, taste sensation! SodaStream flavors contains 2/3 less calories, sugar, and carbs than traditional sparkling beverages and come in over 30 different flavours. It is a cost effective, eco-friendly, healthier and smarter option to other sparkling drinks on the market.
The SodaStream has been a welcomed member to our family. From the moment it was out of the box it was love at first sight. The sleek, narrow appearance (available in a wide range of colours) fit perfectly into the decor of our kitchen without taking up too much valuable counter space. I love that it is a self contained system and doesn’t require an outlet to perform. Set up was a breeze. Simple install the CO2 cartage in the back and you are ready to go. The hardest part was deciding which flavour to indulge in first! I love how quick and easy it is to create a sparkling beverage. Simply fill your carbonating bottle with cold tap water, select your bubble preference (a lot or a little) and press down on the machine. Within 30 seconds, you have perfectly carbonated water. Then you add your flavour (as much as you like!) and roll the drink into perfection. Delicious, refreshing sparkling water in minutes, without the waste by-products commonly associated with fizzy drinks.
#BubblesMyWay Ambassadors will be offering readers a chance to win
1 of 7 SodaStream Source machines
(colours chosen at random).
1st – April 30th 12pm EST.
Disclosure: I am part of the PTPA Brand Ambassador Program with SodaStream Canada and I received compensation as part of my affiliation with this group. The opinions on this blog are my own.