Day one of March break and it has already started with a bang! Last week, I came home from work to hear that my DS6 had been vomiting all morning. He started out with a stomach ache, which progressed to severe stomach cramps followed by puking his guts out. After a dose of loving care from Nanny and Goo, some fluids, Orange Naturals Digestion+Appetite for Kids and rest, DS6 was back to his normal self by the end of the day. I was relieved! Nobody else showed symptoms and we were ready to begin our Staycation at home (day trips, play dates and cuddles on the couch) for March Break.
Last night, our Staycation took a new turn. DS8 came home from a play date at a friend’s house. He was lethargic and didn’t want any dinner, which Mommy and Daddy checked off to too much fun and too many sweets at his playdate. One hour later, we began celebrating March Break Puke-apoloza! DS8 hit my white carpet, my pants, the dog, the dog bed and every square inch of my bathroom. I gently rubbed DS8 back while trying to hold down my dinner. Thank goodness for DH as this Mama can’t handle puke.
Two out of five family members have been hit by the flu this winter season and I’m determined to stay flu-free for the rest of the March Break #NaturallyAtHome.
Here are 4 Keep ways to stay Flu-Free this season!
1. Wash your hands – I remember growing up and my mom always telling me to wash my hands. Then I thought she was a neat freak, but after having children of my own, I realize the importance in her lesson. If you sit back and watch a child play, they touch EVERYTHING and then put their fingers in their mouth. Did you know that germs can live on a surface for over 2 hours? Ick! Washing your hands frequently and properly will help to reduce the spread of the flu virus.
- Use warm water and soap.
- Rub your hands together for 15 to 20 seconds (Try singing the Happy Birthday song in your head!).
- Wash in between your fingers, around your nails and the back of your hands
- Dry your hands carefully
- Use hand sanitizer when water is not available (be careful when using it on kids)
2. Eat your vegetables – The best way to stay healthy this season is to ensure that your immune system is at peak performance. If it is working at optimal potential, you can be in the presence of the flu and not get it! The best way to do this is to fuel your body with healthy, nutritious food that are high in vitamins and antioxidants. Focus on vegetables and fruits that are dark-green, red, or yellow as they contain numerous antioxidants, vitamins A, C, E, and beta-carotene, which are essential in fighting the flu. This March Break, a raw veggie platter is going to be a common staple on our table for nibbling and snacking.
3. Get enough rest – Just because you are on holidays doesn’t mean its time to stay up late and go, go, go all day. Your body needs at least 8 hours of sleep every night to recharge, repair and improve your body so that it is able to fight off any viruses it comes into contact with. Unfortunately, every parent knows that is not always as easy to do. Too little sleep will cause your body’s immune system to weaken. Too much sleep, on the other hand, can cause your body to go into shut down mode. Find out what amount of sleep is right for your body and try to maintain the same sleeping pattern throughout your holidays.
4. Staying hydrated – For some reason, when I’m a work or the kids are at school, it’s easy to stay hydrated. With regularly scheduled lunchtimes and breaks, its easy to incorporate drinking into your daily schedule. On holidays, things get busy and sometimes drinks get forgotten about. A few ways to get your children to stay hydrated is
- Model good drinking behaviours (i.e. I want what Mommy is having!)
- Purchase or decorate water bottles and get in the habit of carrying them around with you!
- Get you children excited about water by creating fruit infused water (example)
We have been 24 hours, puke free! The entire house has been sanitized and we are ready (fingers-crossed) to enjoy a fun filled, HEALTHY Staycation at home! If you are looking for more ways to stay health while travelling this March Break visit Orange Naturals blog for great tips and tricks! #NaturallyatHome.
Keep up to date with the latest Health benefits by following Orange Naturals on Twitter!