Water is essential to human life. We can not survive for prolong periods of time without re-hydrating our bodies. It is thought that, on average, a humans can only survive 10 days without water. Water is required to maintain cell health. Without it, our cells will die and when all your cells die, the human bodies dies too.
It is recommended that in order to stay healthy, a person should consume 2 litres of water a day (that is approximately 8-10 glasses of water). If you are like me, that sound atrocious! On an average day, I drink maybe four glasses of liquid a day (with breakfast, lunch, dinner and in the evening), which is only half the recommended value. I know its not enough and I often find myself in a mild state of dehydration (the feeling of thirst, dry mouth and dry skin).
This New Year, I decided to skip the desire to create a normal New Year Resolution and instead start making lifestyle changes. Along with cutting out junk food, eating more fruits and vegetables, and incorporating physical activity in to my daily routine, increasing my water intake is a high priority. The problem is, WATER IS BORING. I find it bland, unappealing and its the last thing from my mind. I knew if I was going to increase my water intake I had to find away to make my water more appealing. Upon searching the web, I came across different samples of infused water. Infused water is the use of fresh ingredients (i.e. lemon, cucumber, orange, etc) to add flavour and detoxing properties to your water. After trying several different variations, I came up with a delicious concoction with tons of detoxifying properties!
Mint, Ginger, Lemon, Orange, Cucumber Water
- Lemon slices help to cleanse and alkalize the body.
- Mint leaves add a sweet flavour and aids in digestion .
- Cucumbers are excellent for re-hydration and anti-inflammatory properties
- Ginger root cleanses your system, aids in digestion, and settles your stomach
- Orange slices are rich in vitamins and antioxidants
- 1/4 of an orange, sliced
- 1/4 of a lemon, sliced
- 1 inch of ginger root
- 1 inch of cucumber, sliced
- 5 mint leaves
- Wash and prepare ingredients.
- Place in a pitcher of clean, filtered water (You can use an infuser sleeve or place fruit directly in the water).
- Place water in the fridge for 2 hours.
**You can refill pitcher as often as possible with the same fruit.
***Fruit will only last 2 days then needs to be replaced