One of my New Year Resolutions was to revamp my eating habits. I didn’t want to go on the clique diet, because as we all know a diet lasts as long as your will power then slowly fizzles out. What I wanted to do this year was change my eating patterns. I wanted to include more fruits and vegetables into my diet and reduce my sugar intake. I’m a sugar-aholic! Fruits are easy to incorporate into my diet, I just need to make a conscious effort to do so. Vegetables, on the other hand, are not very appealing. I will only eat them raw if they have dip and I get very, very bored of a vegetable if I eat it too often. To conqure this challenge, I decided to try new vegetables and new ways of cooking them to keep my taste buds happy! This week I choose Eggplant Parmesan! It was simple to make, smelt delicious while cooking, and make a very satisfying meal!
Food Friday~ Egg Parmesan
Recipe Type: Dinner
Looking to add vegetables into your diet? Try this delicious and relatively quick Italian dish!!
- 1 Egg plant
- 2 cups of spaghetti sauce
- 1 cup of mozzarella
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups bread crumbs ( I used crushed Glutino gluten free crackers)
- Begin by preheating the oven to 350.
- Peel an eggplant and slice in 1/4 inch slices.
- Dip eggplant slices into the egg, then coat in bread crumbs.
- Align on a cookie sheet in a single layer and bake for 5 minutes per side.
- In a 9×13 inch baking dish spread spaghetti sauce on the bottom, add a single layer of the coated, cooked eggplant, sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. Repeat with remaining ingredients, ending with the cheeses. Sprinkle basil on top.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until cheese browns on top
- Let sit 5 minutes.
- Serve with a mixed green salad and enjoy!