It may sound a little weird for a Canadian to be celebrating Thanksgiving in November, but that’s a new tradition that began when I met my husband. When we were dating, we celebrated Thanksgiving like every other Canadian at the beginning of October. We would rush from his parent’s house to my parent’s house and stuff our bellies with two large, but delicious meals. When children became part of the picture, family members began choosing to attend one Thanksgiving meal, instead of two. My father-in-law is an American (who has lived in Canada for the past 30 years) and treats Thanksgiving very seriously. Although he understands the struggles that his kids and their newly expanding families were going through, he still dreamed of Thanksgiving meal with all four of his children and their families in attendance. Our family solution was to spend Canadian Thanksgiving with our respected families and my father in laws children would all get together in November to celebrate American Thanksgiving. Spreading the turkey out, enjoying a relaxing (rather than rushed) time, and being all together to celebrate Thanksgiving, has made this new tradition a keeper.
Glutino has two amazing products that will be enhancing my Gluten-Free American Thanksgiving this year!
1. Perfect Pie Crust – When I think of Thanksgiving the first thing that comes to mind is pie for dessert. I’m not usually a pastry girl, but nothing completes a fabulous turkey dinner like a freshly baked pie. I have attempted on several occasions to make a pie crust from scratch, but find the consistency of the gluten-free flour to become too crumbly to hold the pie shell shape. Making a pie shell from Glutino Perfect Pie crust was a breeze. Following the three step process on the side of the box and in no time you have a perfectly formed pie crust!
2. Glutino Corn Bread stuffing – For obvious reasons, stuffing has been avoid at the Thanksgiving dinner table since my Celiac Disease diagnosis. Stuffing is a very important part of the Thanksgiving meal. It is the homey, comfortable, and warm dish that leaves everyone feeling full and satisfied. It was a dish that I never dreamed of eating again. When I created my first batch of Glutino Corn Bread stuffing, I was in heaven. It was flavourful and satisfying! The perfect addition to the traditional turkey! I even took it one step further and created a delicious appetizer for a friend’s Christmas party!
- Glutino Corn Bread Stuffing mix
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 Cups Chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup diced onions
- 1 lb of bacon cut in half.
- Make stuffing according to box
- a. Preheat oven 350 F and grease 8×8 pan.
- b. Heat skillet with butter and saute onions.
- c. Pour mix into a bowl, add onions, eggs, and chicken broth.
- d. Let stand 1 minute
- e. Stir until all liquid is absorbed
- Scoop into balls, wrap in bacon and secure with a toothpick
- Pour into pan, cover with foil and bake 25 mins, uncover then bake 8 mins.
Glutino Corn Bread Stuffing Appetizers