Do you ever dream of food? Growing up, I took bread for granted. If I wanted toast for breakfast, a bagel with cream cheese for lunch or a steaming hot pizza for dinner, all I had to do is ask for it. Since becoming gluten free, I find I dream about the foods I once took for granted. Maybe it’s the theory that you always want something you can have (i.e. the grass is greener on the other side), but since I was told I can’t have bread, I lust after it. Take me to a fancy restaurant where they serve steaming hot, fresh bread from the oven with melted butter and you mine as well have stabbed me in the heart.
As a result, I am constantly on the look out for the newest gluten free option available on the market to satisfy this craving. I have tried several gluten-free breads. Some are dry and crumbly, some can only be stomached if toasted, and others are flavorful but just not the same moist, floury taste that its gluten counter parts have. When I was given the opportunity to taste Dempster’s Bakery Gluten Zero, I was up for the challenge. Dempster’s is a name that is trusted in our household for flavour and freshness and is the only bread we buy.
Dempster’s Bakery Gluten Zero was just launched in September of this year. Their goal was to provide a quality Gluten-free bread that delivers on great taste and texture. I wasn’t sure what to expect with my first bite of Dempster’s Bakery Gluten Zero. Would this finally be the fresh bread taste I have been craving? Or would I be treated to a dry crumbly mixture that hardly resembles bread? After my first bite I was in heaven. I was impressed with the taste and texture and was surprised that there wasn’t a compromise on either. The bread provided a just-out-of-the-oven taste that was moist and fresh. Definitely a keeper in our house!
Dempster’s Bakery Gluten Zero products come in two varieties: 100% whole grain and white. Both are low in saturated fats, low in cholesterol and have no trans fat. They are 100% gluten-free and made in a certified (by Canadian Celiac Association) safe 100% dedicated gluten-free facility in Toronto, Ontario.
If you are Gluten sensitive or suffering from Celiac Disease, search your fresh bakery aisle at major grocery store chains across Ontario, Eastern Canada and Quebec and test out Dempster’s Bakery Gluten Zero bread today (MSRP $5.49-$6.49).
|Food Friday- Dempster’s Gluten Free Raspberry French Toast||
- ¼ cup cream cheese
- ¼ cup frozen fruit
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 4 slices Dempster’s Bakery Gluten Zero white bread
- powder sugar for dusting
- chocolate sauce
- Mix frozen fruit and cream cheese, until well combined. Place aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix eggs, sugar, vanilla and salt.
- Warm up the frying pan on medium high and coat with cooking spray.
- Dip bread into egg mixture, until well coated then place in frying pan.
- Cook until well toasted then flip.
- When both sides are toasted, remove from frying pan and add frozen fruit/cream cheese mixture between two slices.
- Drizzle with chocolate sauce and powdered sugar.
- Dip each slice of bread into the egg mixture, coating both sides thoroughly.
- Place bread pieces in frying pan and cook until golden brown on both sides (about 2 or 3 minutes per side).
- Take two of completed French toast pieces and spread the filling mixure on top of them. Top with remaining bread slices to form sandwiches.
- Cut each sandwich in half diagonally.
- Dust all with powder sugar. Drizzle decorative lines of chocolate over all and serve warm.