Have you ever been to a blogging conference?
If not, WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR!
Last fall, I attended my first blogging conference ever. I was only a month into my blogging career and was fortunately enough to win a pass to a blogging conference at a Twitter party. I had not idea what to expect and wasn’t sure what I had gotten myself into. Luckily, one of my best friends, InRdream, was attending and there to hold my hand through the entire experience.
What is a blogging conference?
A blogging conference is an event where bloggers from every niche and experience level, join together in one place to learn, share and evolve into better bloggers. You will find amateur bloggers who blog part time, bloggers who make a living off their blog, accomplished writers, entrepreneurs and executives in one room at one time, sharing their love for social media.
Why should I attend a blogging conference?
In my opinion, a blogging conference is a MUST for all bloggers. It will help the new, inexperienced bloggers enter the blogging world, it will reaffirm for established bloggers why they are doing what they are doing, and it provides an opportunity for the two to meet!
The top 5 things I think you gain from attending a blogging conference:
1. Recharge your blogging juices – After blogging for a year, sometimes I feel like I’m in a lull. I know what I want to say but I feel like its not creative enough or it has been said many times before. A Blogging conference opens your eyes to new ideas and perspectives. It hypes you up with excitement and makes you crave your computer and some quiet time so you can express your feelings to your readers!
2. Meet new friends and reconnect with old ones – One of my favourite things about my blogging experience is the people I have met! From the minute, I walked through the doors of my first blogging conferences, I was greeted with warm smiles and friendly faces. I love meeting up with people who I have twitter partied with or followed their blog in real life. It is these strong friendships that have helped my blog evolve. This year, I’m excited to reconnect with the friends I met at the last blogging conference, but haven’t seen in real life in over a year.
3. Connect with new brands – Blogging conferences are sponsored by amazing brands. Attending the conference allows you to meet and make meaningful connections with these brands that can flourish into strong business relationships over time.
4. Learn things like SEO and how to approach brands – If you were to read the notes from my first blogging conference you would see tons of question marks. For example: You need strong SEO (?), get the numbers of your RSS feed(?) up, etc. When I walked into my first blogging conference, I thought blogging was about sharing your thoughts and perspectives while forming honest connections with brands. Boy did that conference slap me in the face! Blogging has its own set of rules, its own language and certain structure in order to succeed. A blogging conference is an opportunity to learn these rules, to learn how to climb hurdles and discover who you can go to for help or information. I learned things like blog etiquette, understanding how to approach brands and what I needed to do in order to expand my blog.
5. HAVE FUN! A blogging conference is NOT all business. It is a time to take a mini vacation from your family and rediscover what its like to be an individual, rather than somebody’s mom. The after parties, the hotel experience and the whole conference experience is a chance to kick back, let your hair down and have some fun!
If you haven’t experienced your first conference, I encourage you to join me at Blissdom Canada this fall in Toronto! It is more than you can imagine!
This Post is Sponsored by Cooking with Cutco