Warning: Consult your medical practitioner and discuss your options prior to attempting to control your blood pressure naturally.
Two years ago, my dad went for his yearly physical and he was told by his family doctor that his blood pressure was very high. If he didn’t get it under control, he was going to have to go on blood pressure medication. My dad is a typical man; he DOESN’T like to take medication. After discussing his options with his family doctor, he decided to attempt to naturally bring down his blood pressure.
Risks of High Blood Pressure:
High blood pressure is also known as a hypertension. It is a quiet disease that can be silently damaging your body years before symptoms appear. It is the cause for 15% of all deaths that occur and the sad thing is over 28% of the worlds population has high blood pressure and doesn’t even know it! High blood pressure is a silent killer!
5 Ways to Naturally reduce your Blood Pressure:
1. Active Lifestyle – Try to do moderate exercise 30 minutes a day, 5 days of the week. My Dad took this one to heart (literally!). He began a self-made running program and set mini goals and milestones to gage his progress. When he began, he could barely run light post to light post without huffing and puffing. With persistence and determination, he can now run almost the entire route without stopping!
2. Watch what you eat – Some people are sensitive to sodium. By reducing the amount of salt you add to your cooking and replacing it with things such as spices, herbs, lemon, and salt-free seasoning blends, you can dramatically decrease your sodium intake! Also eating more potassium enriched foods, like bananas and potatoes, can counteract the effects that sodium has on your body.
3. Switch to decaf (try tea!) – Caffeine raises blood pressure by constricting blood vessels. This added stress puts more strain on your heart causing it to work harder (i.e. 3 cups of coffee a day can increase your blood pressure by 4 mmHG!) Drinking tea, especially hibiscus tea, has been found to have positive effects on your blood pressure. On average, if a person drinks 3 cups of a hibiscus tea daily they can lower their systolic blood pressure by 7 points in 6 weeks!(prevention)
4. Reduce stress – There is no correct answer to define how to reduce ones stress or which techniques were found to be better. Regardless of this, many studies show that people who work less hours, listen to calming music and practice Yoga, tend to reduce their blood pressure faster then people who don’t include relaxation in their daily life. (Health)
5. Coenzyme Q10 – It works as an antioxidant which dilates blood vessels. The more room the blood has available to move. the less pressure that is built up. Coenzyme Q10 also improves membrane fluidity and decreases blood viscosity, both which aid in lowering the pressure of the blood moving through the arteries.
How to test your Blood Pressure:
Testing your blood pressure on a consistent basis can provide valuable incite into the physical and environmental triggers that cause your blood pressure to elevate. My dad use to take a trip to the local drugstore once a week and use their digital blood pressure machine. He would record his blood pressure and pulse rate and try to determine what had increased or decreased his blood pressure that week (i.e. was it lower because he ran everyday? or was it higher because he ate a plate of salty fries?). It was inconvenient making the trip to the store and waiting in line for his turn. This stress sometimes altered his results.
Ozeri CardioTech Premium Series BP3T Digital Arm Blood Pressure Monitor with Intelligent Hypertension Indicator AKA my Dad’s new best friend!
My Dad was very excited to try out this blood pressure cuff. The ability to accurately test his blood pressure in the comfort of his own home provided him with the control he needed to obtain accurate readings (i.e. same time of day, same location, quiet, non stressful etc).
Features of the Ozeri Blood Pressure Cuff:
- This state-of-the-art computer unit uses a double pulse detection algorithm to enhance pulse wave detection, thereby improving accuracy. Readings tend to be the same as the professional machines in the drugstore.
- The beautifully back lit blue screen, ability to record reading for two separate people and touch sensitive buttons making using it a breeze to use
- The cuff inflation according to real-time blood pressure detection increasing comfort and minimizing the pressure and time required to achieve the reading.
- Unique feature to measure for Irregular heartbeat (Arrhythmia) detection and Hypertension indicator.
- It is very easy to obtain passed reading including date, time and blood pressure reading.
The best part about the Ozeri Blood Pressure Cuff was how easy it was to use. Within minutes, the machine was out of the box and the first blood pressure reading was completed without even opening the instruction manual. Although it was so simple to use, it did provide tons of valuable information (your blood pressure, pulse rate, whether its high, normal, or low). My Dad loved the large screen, light weigh nature and cordless features. Instead of having to take a pad with chicken scratch readings to his doctor, he can take the monitor into his doctor’s office and show his doctor all of his reading digitally.
The cuff on this model is amazing. There is an indicator on the cuff to tell you where to line up the cuff on your arm. Once the cuff is on, you easily secure it with the Velcro. This model minimizes chance of error by interactively measuring your blood pressure while inflating. Not only does this result in an accurate reading but it doesn’t squeeze your arm or cause discomfort during the process. If the machine detects a problem, it aborts the measurement immediately. You get accurate, consistent, measurements every time.
If you are dealing with blood pressure issues, speak with your doctor. If you are looking for a product to record and monitor your blood pressure readings, the blood pressure cuff you want is the Ozeri CardioTech Premium Series BP3T Digital Arm Blood Pressure Monitor with Intelligent Hypertension indicator.
To learn more about this and other Ozeri product visit their Facebook page!
Disclosure: I received one or more of the products mentioned above for review purposes. Regardless, I only recommend products or services, I use personally and believe would be good for my readers. All opinions expressed are my own.