Are you a snacker?
Whether it be in between meals, when I’m bored or late at night, I’m a huge snacker. Most people tend to either favour sweet OR salty treats when they have the munchies, I, on the other hand, favour them both! I love eating a salty treat, followed by something sweet. Not the healthiest option, but in moderation it is OK.
Since being diagnosed with celiac disease, snacking has become more difficult. No longer can I run to the store and grab the first appealing item I find, instead I must take the time and read the ingredients. Its sad to say that most of my once favourite snack items are now black listed. Just when I think I have the snacks I can eat down, hidden gluten jumps up and bites me in the butt! Luckily I can count on Glutino for always having my back. Let me introduce you to my two new favourite snacks:
Salty snack option- Glutino pretzel chips
Whether your watching baseball, looking for the perfect companion for your gluten free beer, or having a craving for something salty, a Glutino pretzel chip is a great a option. Salty and crunchy like a pretzel but flat like a chip. These are great for piling on the cheese or veggies, slathering on the pate or digging into the dip. I love these pretzels! They satisfy my need for salt while providing a crunch to fill my hunger gap. The only difference I notice between these and regular pretzels is that Glutino pretzel chips don’t give me a stomach ache!
Sweet Snack Option ~ Chocolate Chip Cookies
Chocolate chip cookies are one of my favourite comfort foods. Whether it be fixing a sweet tooth craving or brightening my mood, a chocolate chip cookie can do it all! Since being gluten free, I have tried many different cookies. Every cookie I have tired tastes OK, but it just didn’t have that same comfort factor that I am familiar with (i.e. I could taste the rice flour or it was more brittle etc). I have tried to recreate my ideal gluten free comfort cookie in my own kitchen, but it is always missing something. When I first bite into a Glutino Chocolate chip cookie, I figured one of the normal disappointments would be found. After eating 3 cookies, I realized that I had finally found my gluten free comfort cookie. Semi sweet, hardy crunch and all the ooey gooey goodness I remember from its gluten counter part!
As always on Fridays, I love to sharing a new recipe! This week, I took my love for salty and sweet and created a Gluten Free Lemon Pretzel cheesecake! ENJOY!
Gluten Free Lemon Pretzel Cheesecake
- 1 cup of crushed Glutino pretzel chips
- 1/2 cup + 2Tbps of rice flour (separated)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cold margarine
- 1 pkg of cream cheese
- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 Tbsp lemon zest ( I omitted due to no lemons in the house!)
- 1/4 cup of lemon juice (I used real lemon, you can use the juice from the lemon you zested!)
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp icing sugar
- Line a 8×8 pan with tin foil so that the tin foil is hanging over the edge.
- Crush the pretzels (I used the munchkin processor).
- In the the pretzel crumbs, add 1/2 cups of flour, brown sugar, and the margarine. Mix until it is combined and crumbly.
- Press into the bottom of the pan evenly and bake for 15 mins at 350 F.
- In a separate bowl, mix the softened cream cheese and sugar until blended. Add eggs, 2 Tbsp of rice flour, lemon zest, lemon juice, and baking powder. Mix until well combined.
- Pour cream cheese mixture over the baked crust and return to oven for 25-28 minutes.
- Cool completely.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Use foil edges to lift cheese cake out. Place on a plate and top with lemon zest and/or fresh sliced strawberries.
Recipe from Kraft Kitchen