The sun is high in the sky and sweat is pouring down your face. You have friends over in 20 minutes for a play date and realize you don’t have any juice to serve them. Sure there is a whole tap of water, but that’s no fun! Craving lemonade, I reached into the fridge and pulled out Real Lemon juice and discovered a delicious lemonade recipe on the back!
Lemonade, by definition is a refreshing summer time drink that contains a mixture of lemon juice, water and sugar. When you buy lemonade in the store it contains high concentrates of sugar, fructose corn syrup and other sketchy names for sugar that you would never be able to identify when reading the beverage label. These hidden sources of sugar have created a rise in things like diabetes, obesity and other health problems. There has to be a better way to enjoy lemonade on hot summer day.
What is Truvia?
Extracted from the best tasting part of the stevia leaf plant, Truvia sweetener is a great calorie-free alternative to sugar. Deriving its sweetness from a natural source, it is also gluten-free and diabetic-friendly. Truvia has been approved by Health Canada for use as a tabletop sweetener and tastes great in coffee, tea, and summer beverages, or added to cereal or fruit. It is available at many retailers across Canada, in 40- and 80-packet boxes and in a spoonable jar format.
Stevia leaf extract comes from the leaves of the stevia plant, which is a member of the chrysanthemum family native to northeastern Paraguay. The stevia plant has been used to sweeten foods and beverages for hundreds of years. Truvia different from most stevia sold today because it consists of the best-tasting components of the stevia leaf.
Erythritol is a sugar alcohol that has been part of the human diet for thousands of years and is found naturally in fruits such as grapes and melons. It is a non-caloric product that provides bulk, crunch, and a crystalline texture for Truvia.
Natural flavours are used to bring out the best of Truvia
sweetener much like pepper or salt or any other spice would be used to enhance the taste of food.
Why Is Stevia better then sugar?
1. Stevia is very potent! A little goes a long way! Stevia is 40 times as sweet as the same amount of sugar. When using it in a recipe, you need far less to achieve the same sweetness!
2. Stevia has no calories. The downfall with sugar is that it makes you fat. Stevia, on the other hand, contains ZERO calories!
3. Stevia suppresses cravings! Sugar is addictive, therefore you always want more! Artificial sweeteners contain less calories, but you still have the craving for sweets, aka you are still addicted! Stevia has been shown to decrease cravings to the point that you can quit!
4. Stevia is known for its many health benefits! Stevia creates a “sugar alcohol” which prevents bacteria from sticking to your teeth, so there is less chance that a cavity with form. Stevia can also regulate your blood pressure and be used to sweeten foods for diabetics (it has a glycemic index of ZERO!) (Gobal Healing Centre).
- 3 1/2 cups of water
- 4 packages to Truvia (4 Tbsps)
- 1/2 cup of lemon juice
- 4 ice cube sized Strawberry puree ice cubes
- 1 handful of blueberries
- ice cubes
- Empty Truvia in to the jug.
- Pour in lemon juice.
- Add water.
- Mix well.
- Add ice cubes, strawberry puree ice cubes and blue berries.
- Serve and enjoy!
I am a sugar-aholic. You can give me chocolate, chips or popcorn and I can easy pass it up. Put a bowl of sugared covered jelly candies in front of me and I’m like kid in a candy store. There is no stopping once I start! I know that sugar is not good for me! I know that it causes me to gain weight, but the cravings I have for it is unreal. I have tried many other alternative sweeteners with the hopes of finding something ‘healthier’ to replace sugar, but nothing has come close until I was introduced to Truvia.Knowing that sugar is not good for me and the fact that I constantly constant crave sugar lead me to search for a better alternative! When I was given the opportunity to substitute my sugar for Truvia. Tasting Truvia right out the package provided an intense sweet flavouring, without the bitter after taste that I find I experience with artificial sweetener. When I added it in my lemonade recipe, I was ecstatic at how nice it tasted. Cool, refreshing and tasty! The perfect summer drink! I think if I was given a glass of lemonade with sugar and a glasses of lemonade with Truvia, I honestly I wouldn’t be able to tell the difference! I am going to continue using Truvia with the hopes of losing some weight and reducing my sugar cravings.
For more great tasting Summer beverages sweetened with Truvia: VISIT http://truvia.com/canada/