Strawberry picking season seems to have been extended this year. I don’t know if it is because of the colder or wetter spring that we have had, but I am for one am excited! I love Strawberries muffins!!
How to Grow Strawberries for the perfect Strawberry muffin:
Strawberries are very easy to grow (unless you are me and leave the container with the bloom on your deck to get saturated by water and die within the first week of receiving it!)
Here are some tips:
1. Don’t let me grow your strawberry plant for you!
2. Use well-drained, fluffy, organic soil (They will grow in most types of soil but prefer this type!)
3. Place in FULL SUN!!! (MIN of 6 hrs is needed for small berries)
4. Strawberries need 1 inch of water a week.
5. Remove strawberries from your plant once they are ripe. They will not ripen after they are picked.
6. If you are planning to eat the strawberries you are growing, you may need to create a contraption like this to protect them from chipmunks, birds and raccoons. (As you can see from the picture, my gardening skill don’t come from my mother!)
Here is this week’s Food Friday Recipe!
- 2 1/2 cup old-fashioned (or Gluten Free) oats
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup Truvia
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 cup strawberries chopped into pieces
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Line muffin tray with paper cups or spray very well (sticky easily!)
- Place all ingredients (EXCEPT STRAWBERRIES) in a blender until smooth.
- Fold in 1 cup of strawberries.
- Pour mixture into muffin tray and top with remaining strawberries.
- Bake for 20-25 mins until the toothpick comes out clean!
Recipe from Kitchen Meets Girl