What would your ultimate dessert be? My ultimate dessert must be sweets, chocolate and memorable! I tend to pass on things like cakes and cookies, unless it is a BROWNIE. Brownies are my weakness. They are rich, moist and melt in your mouth delicious! The only problem with brownies is they are not great for the waistline!
When searching for a gluten free brownie recipe, I came across the ‘magic’ brownie recipe! This is not your normal brownie. In place of flour, it uses avocados and kidney beans! Cool right? Excited as I was, I was immediately worried they wouldn’t taste good. I mean who uses kidney beans in a sweet dessert? Up for the challenge, I whipped up a batch of magic brownies and was amazed how easy and quick the recipe came together. I was skeptical when I put the first bite in my mouth, but was amazed and the rich, chocolatey flavour. The real test came when I served them to my kids. DS7 is quite picky when it comes to vegetables, so I left out the fact that there was hidden vegetables in the brownie. It was gobbled up in 10 seconds flat! When I asked what he thought of the brownie, he said it was the best brownie he had ever eaten! When I told him what was IN the brownie he was shocked! He said “WOW that is Magic! These must be a MAGIC BROWNIE”, hence this recipe is called the Magic Brownie.
The ‘Magic’ part of these brownies are the hidden vegetables!
- 1 can of red kidney beans
- ½ cup avocado ( I used one full medium sized Avacado)
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp almond extract (I omited due to my allergy to Almonds)
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup of white chocolate chips (The more chocolate the better!)
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Butter a 8×8 pan to prevent the brownie from sticking (It also works well with mini muffin tins too!)
- Using a food blender, blend up the avocado and kidney beans. Make sure you turn it into a puree. (I left some lumps behind and found kidney bean shell casings in my brownies!)
- Transfer to a large bowl and add the remaining ingredients (except chocolate chips). Mix by hand until well blended.
- Fold in chocolate chips and pour into pan.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, turning the pan halfway through
- Completely cool
- Cut into bite sized pieces and ENJOY!