The sun is shining, kids are laughing outside and my allergies are horrible…it must be spring! Instead of craving fresh salads and BBQ steak, I’m craving an old winter favourite: Stew. The need for a belly filling, comfort of home type of meal is exactly what I ended up cooking today! Its one of those meals that calms my frustrations and settles my spirit! My final farewell to winter!
- 1 1/2 lb steak, cut into bite sized pieces (I used stewing beef!)
- 3 Carrots
- 6 Celery Stalks
- 4 Large Potatoes
- 1 Onion
- 1/2 cup Frozen Peas (optional)
- 3 cups of Beef Broth
- 2 cans Diced Tomatoes (optional)
- 2 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1/4 cup + 1tsp Gluten Free Flour
- Spices (oregano, basil, pepper, salt, garlic, etc.)
1. Chop up all of your vegetables and stewing beef into bite size pieces.
2. Mix 1/4 cup GF flour with beef. Coat all of the meat well.
3. Heat 2 TBSP oil in a pot. When it begins to sizzle, add beef. Brown beef, do not cook all the way through.
4. Remove beef from pot and set aside. Add 1Tbsp oil and heat until it sizzles. Add onions and cook until they are clear.
5. Add 1tsp of GF flour until its pasty. Then add 3 cups of beef broth, all of your chopped vegetables, partially cooked beef and any spices you may want to include.
6. Bring stew to a boil.
7. Once boiled, turn temperature down and simmer for 1.5 hrs until vegetables are cooked.
8. Serve and enjoy!