Easter for me has always been a morning holiday for me! I remember as a kid waking up, doing the Easter bunny hunt, then getting ready for a BIG breakfast with my family. My Grammy use to go all out! She would cook crepes with jelly and cream cheese, pancakes, kielbasa, bacon, toast, fruit salad and of course eggs. We would have egg cracking contest with our hard boiled eggs. The winner was the last person at the table holding an unbroken egg. Funny thing is, everyone else would be eating their eggs thanks to the crack, while the ‘winner’ would be stuck with a solid egg!
A few weeks ago I was trying to come up with a unique dessert for my children when I remembered an Easter dessert my cousin made for me when I was kid. I hadn’t thought of this dessert in years, but in the spirit of the Easter season, I thought it was very fitting. Usually we don’t have dessert after our BIG Easter breakfast. For one, we are usually stuffed and two who eats dessert after breakfast. Since it was a special time of year, we agreed to let me cousin be in charge of Easter dessert. We were intrigued to see what she would come up with.
SUNNY SIDE UP EGG DESSERT
- Pound cake
-10 egg whites
-2 1/2 cup gluten free all purpose flour
-1/4 cup corn starch
-3/4 cup of sifted sugar
-1 tsp salt-1 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
-2 tsp vanilla
-1 tsp salt
- 1 Can of Peach halves (I used slices because I couldn’t find halves.)
- 1 Can of whip cream
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Mix flour, 3/4 cup sugar, salt, and cornstarch until well blended. Set aside.
3. Beat egg whites until frothy.
4. Slowly add 3/4 cup of sugar into egg whites. Continue beating until soft peaks form.
5. Fold in the flour mixture. Use a sieve to ensure no lumps form.
6. Pour mixture in a greased pan and placed in oven for 45 minutes. The top should be golden brown and spring back to your touch.
7. Let sit for 5 minutes then remove from the pan. Let cool completely.
8. Cut the cake into bread like slices.
9. Lay flat on a plate, top with peaches in a half peach form and circle in whip cream.
10. Serve and enjoy!