I hate deciding what to cook for dinner. I have very limited cooking skills and very picky children, so the combination doesn’t lend itself to many options. For this recipe, I was inspired while aimlessly looking through the fridge for something to eat. In the back corner, I noticed a container of Feta Cheese leftover from when my husband made homemade lasagna (YUM!) and a container of fresh spinach, both of which were just about to go bad! This inspired me to make feta and spinach stuffed chicken for the first time!
4 tsps of canola oil (divided)
4 cloves of garlic (as per usual, I used Epicure’s minced garlic – 2tsp)
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 large handfuls of fresh spinach leaves (remove the tough stems)
1/2 a container of feta cheese, drained
1/2 cup of salsa
salt and pepper to taste.
1. Pre heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Add 2 tsp of oil in to a frying pan. Once oil is hot, add the spinach and garlic. Cook spinach until it is coated in oil and slightly wilted.
3. While spinach is cooking, create a pocket in the chicken breast.
4. Sprinkle each pocket with salt and pepper, then add feta and spinach.
5. Heat the remaining oil in the frying pan over medium heat.
6. When hot, add stuffed chicken. Brown each side of the chicken (approx. 3 mins/side)
7. Remove stuffed chicken from frying pan and transfer to an oven safe container.
8. Cook for 8-10 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked through.
9. Top with salsa and serve with vegetables.