Our town was hit by a HUGH Winter storm on Friday, so we were snowed in all weekend. Since it was the weekend before Valentine’s day, we decided to have Valentine’s Day fun early!!!
Here are 5 Valentine’s Activities to do with your kids!
1. Watch Madly Madagascar
To begin our Valentine’s Day bash, we watched Madagascar’s new movie: Madly Madagascar!
THE PLOT: Your favorite Madagascar pals are back in an all-new adventure! Alex’s favorite holiday, Valentine’s Day, brings hilarious surprises and excitement for the entire gang. Melman plans a big surprise for Gloria, Marty tries to impress a new friend and everyone wants to get their hands on King Julien’s love potion. You’ll fall in LOVE with Madly Madagascar!
OUR REVIEW: My children love all 3 Madagascar movies and find the entire gang (especially the penguins) entertaining and comical. They were very excited to find out that there was new Valentine’s Day special. They were not disappointed! This movie was as entertaining as the other 3, and my kid’s were laughing hysterically at several scenes. It was short, sweet, and too the point, but taught us a good lesson about love and friendship! Out in time for Valentine’s Day, this movie is not one to be missed!
Print and send these cards to your friends!
2. Write School Valentine’s Cards
Every year, my children love handing out Valentine’s Day cards to the children in their class. Usually I write their name on the cards (or if I’m lazy I type it out once and cut and paste it on labels to print!). This year, my youngest son was having some difficulties with his printing in school. What a better way to get him to practice his letters then writing them out 30 times! lol
3. Make Valentine’s grilled cheese sandwiches for lunch!
Continuing the theme through lunch, I made heart shaped grilled cheese sandwiches, complete with red colour (aka ketchup!). The kids were thrilled! For the boys sandwiches, I made a normal grilled cheese sandwich then used a large heart cookie cutter to cut out the shape. For DD1, I used my FUNBITES (Click on word to read 1heart1family’s review) heart shape cutter, to make smaller bite size pieces!
4. Valentine’s Day Crafts
Once the baby went down for her afternoon nap, the boys and I broke out the craft supplies and made a Valentine’s Day card holder and bracelets.
Valentine’s Day Card Holders:
1. Cut out two hearts that are the same size (We used foam boards).
2. Using a hole punch, punch holes all the way around the outside of the heart.
3. Using ribbon, sew around the outside of the heart, joining the two together. Make sure you leave the top open!
4. Add a handle (we used pipe cleaners)
5. Decorate to reflect your personality!
5. Heart shaped Calazones!
For Dinner, the kids had fun helping prepare heart shaped Calazones!
1 pkg yeast
1 Tbsp sugar
1 cup warm water
1 tsp salt
3 Tbsp olive by Giant Savings Extension”>oil
1 ¾ cup white flour
1 ¼ cup whole wheat flour
1. Combine yeast, sugar and warm water and let set for 5 minutes. Mix remaining ingredients and then add yeast mixture. Let dough rise, in a warm place, for about 1-2 hours, until double in size. ( I forgot to buy yeast while at the grocery store, so we opted to use the pre made pizza dough I had in the fridge!)
2. Roll out the dough until it is even thickness.
3. Using cookie cutters cut two equal sized hearts.
4, Top with marinara sauce, toppings and cheese, then crimp edges with a fork.
5. Bake at 400 for 10-15 minutes until lightly browned.
6. Serve with marinara sauce for dipping and strawberry milk for the perfect Valentine’s Day kids meal!