GF Christmas Peppermint Sandwich cookies
|Cool Apron = Cooking Diva|
I have a standard set of cookies I bake every year from Christmas; Sugar cookies, thumbprint cookies, Molasses cookies and a new cookie. Unfortunately, this year I was diagnosed with Celiac disease so I had to revamp my Christmas baking list! I surfed the Internet for gluten free Christmas cookies. There were tons out there! When the page loaded, I knew I had to try the the Christmas Peppermint Sandwich cookie. It was a good choice!
1/2 cups of sugar
1/3 cup of brown sugar
2 tsp vanillia
1 tsp peppermint
1 1/2 cups gluten free flour
1/4 cup of Cocoa
1 tsp Xanthan gum
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 can of frosting
1. Using an electric mixer, cream the butter/margarine and sugars together.
2. Add the vanilla, peppermint and eggs to the sugar-butter mixture.
3. In a separate bowl, mix flour, cococa, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda and salt until well blended.
4. Combine the two mixtures until the dough is sticky
5. Roll dough into a ball, wrap in wax paper and freeze for 1 hour.
6. While dough is freezing you can prepare the frosting. If you want you can use plain vanilla frosting or add 3 drops of peppermint to one can of frosting to make a more festive flavour.
7. Flour (Gluten free of course!) work surface and rolling pin, preheat the oven to 350 F, then remove dough from freezer.
8. Take 1/3 of the ball and roll it out flat until it is 1/4 inch thick.
9. Using a circle cookie cutter or a glass, cut out 1 inch circles.
10. Place on a cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
11. Once cooled, ice the cookies and roll in sprinkles!