I was grabbing a few groceries for dinner, when I walked pasted the frozen Pillsbury cookie dough. My mouth started watering! I love their sugar cookies! They had cute pumpkin cookies, that I knew my boys would love. I picked up tube off the shelf and was about to put it in the shopping cart when I debated with myself if I would be able to withstand the temptation. Having Celiac Disease, I have to avoid anything containing gluten (i.e. flour, wheat, rye barley etc) or any product that might have come in contact with any of those products (i.e. cross-contamination). While my mouth watered and the battle of will waged on, I thought to myself “Why not make them from scratch?” With that goal in mind, I searched the internet for an easy recipe for sugar cookies, adapted it to suit my design needs and created a snack that the whole family could enjoy!
1 cup sugar
1 cup Butter, softened
2 Egg yolks
1 1/2 teaspoons gluten-free vanilla
2 1/4 cups Gluten-Free Flour Blend (see below)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Mix Gluten Free Flour (either as below or 2 1/4 cup of Rice Flour and 2 tsp xanthan gum) with salt. Whisk well.
2. Combine sugar and butter in large bowl. Beat at medium speed until creamy. Add egg yolks and vanilla. Continue beating until well mixed.
3.Reduce speed to low; add flour blend and salt. Beat until well mixed.
4. Cover; refrigerate until firm (1 hour).
5. Preheat oven to 350°F.
6. Sprinkle Gluten Free flour on counter, using 1/2 the dough (keeping remaining dough refrigerated), roll out dough to thickness of1 /4-inch.
7. Using a cookie cutter or glass, cut with 2 1/2-inch circles. ASK A CHILD FOR HELP!
8. Place 1 inch apart onto ungreased cookie sheets.
9. Bake for 8 to 12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
10. Let stand 2 minutes; remove from cookie sheets. Cool completely.
11. While cookies are cooling, colour icing. I used pre-made icing and added 2 drops of red food colouring and 19 drops of yellow food colouring.
12. Decorate cookies with assorted candies.
** Gluten-Free Flour Blend: To make flour blend, combine 2 cups rice flour, 2/3 cup potato starch, 1/3 cup tapioca flour and 1 teaspoon xanthan gum. Use appropriate amount for recipe; store remainder in container with tight-fitting lid. Stir before using.
Dietary Fiber: 5g