Summer is finally upon! The sun is out, its hot and the outdoors are begging to be explored. I dream of walking through a forest, spotting animals in their natural habitat and absorbing a good dose of Vitamin D. Sadly, the call of nature doesn’t appeal to my kids in the same way. To get them excited about the outdoors, I have to be creative. If a hiking trip has an exciting destination, they are more likely to be inspired to join in the fun. Scavenger hunts, feeding the birds and exploring some of Ontario’s famous land sites, like the Warsaw Caves, are just a few ways that I create hiking memories with my kids that will last forever! To preserve these memories I rely on Leef!
Before heading out into the beautiful unknown, it is important that you prepare a few supplies for the trip. Whether its a half an hour hike at a local crown land or a more intense hike in Algonquin park, when hiking with kids it is very important to be prepared. Slips, falls, bites and dehydration are just a few of the mishaps that may arise!
Things You Need When Hiking With Kids!
- A good pair of shoes – Although sandals may seem like the perfect summer footwear, they are not great when hiking! You need a well supportive shoe that is comfortable and broken in (new shoes = Blister!). Your shoes should be breathable and be geared for the terrain you are hiking.
- Water – Hiking is physically exerting on your body! You need to bring lots of water to help replenish the water lost during sweating and exertion! Children need to remind to drink often!
- First Aid Kit – This is the most important item on you should have on your person when hiking. From slips and falls to bug bites to blisters, you need to be prepared for whatever emergency arises. A First Aid pack should include things like bandaids, antihistamines, epipens, blister pads, etc.
- Snacks – The minute we get in the car, my kids are always complaining they are hungry, so after an hour hike, I’m sure their complaints will turn into full out whines! To prevent this, I travel with fruit, trail mix, and granola bars to provide quick solutions grumble tummies!
- Sunscreen – Sunburns can occur between 10 and 60 minutes, depending on the UV rating. With my fair children, it is a constant worry! Applying sunscreen half an hour before you leave is not always enough. Reapplying at the first sign of redness or every 4 hours can help minimize their exposure. Don’t forget you can get burned on cloudy days too!
- Bug Spray – I am one of those lucky people! The moment I enter a buggy area a bulletin is released to all biting bugs that the buffet has arrived. Bug spray is important to keep annoying insects away like mosquitoes as well as dangerous ones too!
- Cell Phone/GPS – I remember one hiking trip I took solo with my kids. My DS10 wanted to be in charged and swore he knew the way home. We ended up in a farmers field and it took 2 hours to get back! Cellphones are important for emergency situations and can be a helpful GPS tool as well.
- Leef iBridge3 – There is nothing worse then seeing your child in the perfect shot, only to have your phone say “Memory full”. Never miss a hiking memory again with the Leef Bridge 3.
Leef iBridge3 is an external iOS memory drive that empowers users to go do more by freeing up space on their iPhone! This miniature memory tool has an intuitive design where the stick wraps around the bottom of the phone (dimensions: 49 x 12 x 16mm 12g), making it easy to hold and prevents it from being accidentally removed from the machine. It comes with a silicone carrying case that can be attached to your key chain to keep your Leef iBridge3 on hand at all times.
Simply download the app before you go and you can easily to move media back and forth between the phone and the stick or download pictures and videos directly to your Leef app so it stores on the memory stick instead of your iphone.
This product is available in 16GB, 32GB, 64GB, 128GB, 256GB, compatible on iOS 9 & iOS 10 systems and works on both iPads and iPhones.
Get outdoors, get hiking and capture all your memories on LEEF iBridge3. So that you never miss another photo opportunity again, 1Heart1Family is offering the chance to WIN your own LEEF iBridge3!
WIN LEEF iBridge3
Ends Jul 4, 2017