Keeping your kids unplugged can be difficult. With tablets, video game systems and smartphones, it is so easy to hand a bored child an electronic device to occupy their time. Although I do see the many benefits in using electronics (i.e. reading programs, educational programs, creative activity, etc.), I have also seen the effects that overuse and dependence can have on a child. My oldest child is an electronic genesis. He can take any electronic device and figure out how it works in minutes. The other day, he played a video game with his buddy and learned more about Greek Mythology then I know. The problem is that the benefits of playing with electronics, sometimes tend to cause a negative affect. His ADHD causes him to fixate on them and prevents him from want to explore other forms of play.
When searching for a new way to encourage screen-free play, I came across Jaq Jaq Bird Art supplies. Recently, launching in Canada Jaq Jaq Bird was born out of one Mom’s frustrations on how to entertain children while dining out. She was a victim of renovation fraud and found herself without a kitchen and very young children. This meant eating out a lot. Sadly, her children grew tired of playing with the same restaurant menus and would end up tearing them up resulting in disaster fits. Grace, the inventor of Jaq Jaq Bird, created place-mats for her children with one side featuring a reusable chalkboard and the other a usable place-mat. They were easy to travel with and provide the children with hours of entertainment. After being feature on HGTV and other designing shows, Jaq Jaq Bird grew and expanded to include items like Doodle It & Go Books, Chalkboard Table Runners, Dustless, Smudge-less Chalk, and so much more!
Knowing my eldest had an eye for art as well as video games, I felt this product would be of great use in my house. He could spend hours and hours doodling and when he was done, we could photograph it, erase and begin again! As March Break approaches, I began searching for other ways that this product could be useful in my children’s lives in replace of electronics.
Here are few ideas we came up with:
- In the Car – Travelling short or long distances in the car can lead to very bored kids. The Doodle It & Go provides my children with endless drawing opportunities and the dustless, smudge-less chalk means I don’t have to worry about colouring outside the line when we hit a bump in the road.
- In a restaurant – Jaq Jaq Bird products were born in a restaurant, it is only makes take them with essential! Tic tac toe, hangman, Guess what I drew are just a few fun games you can use to entertain and interact with your kids as you wait for food.
- Homework help – Need to work on extra math problems? Does your child have weekly spelling lists? Instead of constantly wasting paper on mock tests or practice time, you can use your Doodle It & Go book and wipe the slate clean for the next lesson!
- Creative writing practice – My son loves drawing comics. The Doodle It & Go books are the perfect pre-made book that allows my son to work on his comic strips and share them with friends!
- On the Plane – Plane rides can be boring! From the wait time in the airport prior to boarding to the actual flight to your destination, there is a lot of time that the kids will be bored. Jaq Jaq Bird products provides endless opportunities to play games, draw pictures and have fun without worrying if the batteries will last!
- Party organizer – When I have a party, I always have to label the regular snacks from the Gluten free foods. Instead of making individual signs, I can now use the Chalkboard table runner and write out what each product is making it easy for guests to select what they want!
- Communication board – Jaq Jaq Bird table runner, calendar, etc. makes great way for a busy family to connect over extracurricular activities, important dates and scheduled events. When a new month approaches, simple wipe it clean and start again!
- Activity board – Turn the chalkboard table runner into hours of fun! You can make a race track, hopscotch board, or miniature village to incorporate imaginative play with their other toys.
- Growth chart – I love in family movies, you see a family mark out the growth of the wood of the doorway. Sadly it is almost impossible to bring it with you when you move. Why not create a growth chart on your chalkboard table runner. You can take it with you from house to house and the smudge proof chalk won’t rub off when you go to do your next measurement!
- Banner – Every year for every family member, I am buying a different banner celebrating their new age. With Jaq Jaq Bird table runner, you can customize your own banner, with brightly coloured pictures and lettering to commemorate the event!
The options are endless when it comes to what you can do with Jaq Jaq Bird products! They can go any where and adapt to anything you need to make life easier, more colourful and more personal!!
Which activity can you see yourself using Jaq Jaq Bird for?