Being a Mom is the greatest and hardest thing in the world. The moment the baby is born, you go from a independent person to a life that is instantly intertwined with someone who is complete dependent on you. This child depends on you for food, shelter, guidance and protection. They look to for guidance, inspiration and always when you sneak away to the bathroom for 10 seconds. They scream your name when they are hurt, happy, or when they want something even if Daddy is two feet away. It is the most gratifying job in the world, but it comes with no time off, no paid holidays or sick time. Your decisions are constantly made with someone else in mind, and your lifestyle shifts to accommodate this change. Sometimes it feels like you change for ME to MOM and loose grip on the person and things you use to do.
With January nearly in the rear view mirror, it’s easy to lose track of our 2017 goals. For Hallmark, mental wellness and relaxation is top-of-mind, with puzzles, colouring books, and calming décor as far as the eye can see. These are the perfect things to help us indulge in our ME self to keep us happy and healthy. I know that this time of year many New Years resolutions have been made (and broken!) but I think we should all try to incorporate a little “Me time” into our day so that we can in turn be the best Moms EVER!
How to Create a ME TIME, Relaxing experience:
1) Find a quiet space. Leave technology, distractions and kids far behind. This is a time to reconnect with your own thoughts and feelings without the stress from the external world. It may be a 10 minute period between naps and school pick up. Find those moments and EMBRACE them!
2) Give yourself the luxury of a pleasant aroma. Remove yourself from dinner preparation and dirty diapers and center yourself with a pleasant smelling candle. The olfactory sense is the strongest sense and the one that has the most impact on the brain. A positive scent allows for chemical reactions to occur that relax (Lavendar), calm (Lemon) and revitalize (Jasmine) without much effort on your part!
3) Choose an interest that requires concentration without interference from others. One great task is puzzles! They are great task that can be done by oneself or in small groups and it helps to improve skills like problem solving, fine motor development, hand eye coordination and one’s self esteem.
4) Choose and interest that relaxes you and distracts you from the worries and stressors that are going on in world. Recently, Adult colouring has become a very popular trend. It is something that is easy to do, easy to store and can be left for days and returned to without hassle. Colouring has been associated with decreased anxiety, a decrease in depressive thoughts, and improve overall relaxation.
5) Do nothing. Grab a hot drink of your choice, sit in a comfortable chair and breath deeply. Enjoy the silence and give yourself permission to relax (this can be very difficult!). Take as long as you need. This can be done any where, any time and will improve your mind, body, and mothering skills.
How do you carve out a bit of “ME” time for yourself?