The holidays are over. I must say this was one of my favourite years. The kids were all at an age where they were fully immersed in the magic of the season, we weren’t rushed or overwhelmed by too many commitments or family obligations and best of all, it was a WHITE CHRISTMAS! There is something magical when you look at the window and the earth is covered in a soft blanket of white like every Christmas card and Christmas movie implies.
One of my favourite part about the holidays is the down time afterwards. It is a time to relish in quality family time, whether it be building Christmas Lego, cozying up on the couch for a Netflix marathon or enjoying some good old fashion Canadian winter fun, playing in the soon. When dinner time rolls around (5, 6 or even 7 pm), I’m definitely not motivated enough to cook a fancy dinner for my family. I want something that is quick, easy and doesn’t require a lot of effort in the kitchen. If it includes using up the many holiday leftovers in the fridge that is an added bonus!
One recipes that my family really enjoyed was a Ham and Potato Casserole. With a ton of extra ham left over from Christmas breakfast and the need for a hardy, gut satisfying, this recipe hit the spot!
Leftover Ham and Potato Casserole
- 2 cups leftover Ham, fully cooked
- 1 Onion, small
- 6 Potatoes, small
- 3 tbsp Gluten free rice flour
- 1 Salt and ground black pepper
- 7 tbsp butter
- 2 cups of shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup of frozen peas (you can substitute any vegetable you like!)
- 1 1/2 cups milk
1.. Remove the skin from your potatoes and chop up potatoes, onion and leftover ham into 1 inch cubes.
2. In a sauce pan over medium heat, mix butter, milk and flour until sauce thickens.
3. Remove from heat, add in 2 cups of cheddar cheese and mix until the cheese melts.
4. In an oven safe container, place potatoes, peas, and ham. Mix up.
5. Add sauce to potato mixture and mix until well combined.
6. Top with remaining shredded cheese.
7. Cook at 350 F for 30 minutes (until potatoes are cooked).
8. Serve and enjoy!