I am normally a very organized person. I run a household, work full time, run 3 kids to school events/extra circular activities/sports and still mange to stay on top of my household chores. The one area of my life that I am extremely disorganized in is meal preparation. When dinner time rolls around, I open the fridge and stare aimlessly at the random ingredients inside, praying that a quick and nutritious meal idea jumps out at me.
Sometimes my search beings on the internet, googling ideas like “Quick dinners”, “Health dinners” and “One Dish”. Sometimes I luck out and have most of the ingredients required for the dish and I am able to reconfigure the recipe to create some sort of edible meal. Other times, I open the freezer, select a protein and concoct a meal from that.
One night, the kids were asking for sausage, I was craving pasta and the Spinach in my fridge was begging to be used before it was spoiled. This is what we came up with. It was quick, easy and fit into two pots!
Greek Spinach and Sausage Pasta
- 1 pkg of cheese sausage
- 3 cups fresh spinach, fresh
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 8 oz. pasta
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup (4 oz.) shredded Feta Cheese
- Cook sausage according to directions on the package. For this one, I boiled them in a pot of water.
- In a separate pot, add spinach. Cook until the spinach wilts.
- Add broth, tomatoes, chopped up, cooked sausage and noodles to spinach mixture, bring them to a boil.
- Cook until noodles are fully cooked and broth is absorbed.
- Top with feta cheese and serve
Although my children don’t like “GREEN” vegetables, they really enjoyed this meal! It is an easy meal to have on hand when you need a quick, delicious dinner!